FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

stability sys..dash LED screen upon cranking..RIDE CONTROL

STABILITY SYS DISABLED......RIDE CONTROL SERVICE.....and ENGINE LIGHT appear on dash LED screen upon cranking. One out of 5 startups, the REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning appears on LED screen and remains on until vehicle is cutoff, door opened and closed (allowing for reset), and then restarted. After restarting 5-6 times, the REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning does not appear, yet the RIDE CONTROL and ENGINE light remain on. The REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning does not generally occur on a cold start, but does occur on restarting a warmed up engine. Have installed new thermostat(no help).
The hand held diagnostic test @ ADVANCED AUTO PARTS store shows a code = P0220, which indicates THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR.
Recently installed K&N air filter and MSD super conductor plugs & ignition wires. What is my next step. Should I feel confident that a new throttle body w/ sensor will eliminate the problem on a 2003 GMC YUKON DENALI 6.0 liter with 109,000 miles.
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 years ago.

FIXITMAN :

Hello JACUSTOMER, did this start after the K&N was installed?

Customer :

It had done this before installing the K&N.

Customer :

Yes, it was showing the same warning indications before the K&N was installed.

FIXITMAN :

Okay. Start by checking the battery. If the voltage is low then this will happen. If the battery is fine then the computer needs to be scanned for codes. You can get this done at most auto part stores. Come back here with the codes and I will let you know what is going on. It may be a bad connection at the EBCM.

Customer :

I took it to Advance Auto store and had scanned. The scan was code P0220.

Customer :

you asked me on 1/22/11 to come back with the codes. I did. NOTE: see customers last reply @ 2:26pm.

Customer :

Not finished. My reply to your last response was a scan code of P0220. That was 6 days ago. unclear as to why you never responded. Please complete the task.

FIXITMAN :

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Your reply just came up to me. If you are getting this code with these warnings most of the time it is due to a wiring issue in the drivers side kick panel under the dash. Remove the plastic cover there and look for loose or corroded connections. Then check the connections at the throttle pedal and the throttle body.

FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified