Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

2002 GMC Envoy: rear hatch..a formed plastic, that..estimated cost

Our 2002 GMC Envoy has the rear hatch top light out. I am told it is part of a formed plastic, that goes across the door that must be replaced as a unit, with estimated cost of $600. Is there any way to just replace the lights and how do I get this done?
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

This lamp assembly i s part of the plastic trim housing assembly in the rear and has to be replaced as an entire unit like this.

Unfortunately the bulbs that illuminate in this lamp are LED bulbs that are non serviceable as they are soldered into a circuit board on the lamp assembly.

I have heard of some people removing this lamp and taking it apart then matching up the led lights at places like radio shack and soldering in new bulbs,but they would have to be the correct bulb.This is usually only done if one or or a few of the bulbs are out.

If the entire lamp assembly is out then most likely there is a fault with the circuit board in the lamp and the entire lamp would have to be replaced.

I do recommend having the entire lamp replaced as it may be difficult to find the exact LED lights and it may not correct the fault by soldering in new LED lights.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the part number for the light assy, 15000045 or 15062434? Are these two the same part?
I did try to look up the part number for this lamp assembly and my info didn't give me a part number for this.

The best thing to do is to contact a dealers parts counter by phone with your full vin number and they can give you the part numbers that are compatible with your vehicle here.Ask them for the new current numbers and any old part numbers that were used.