Billy
Billy, GMC Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector
12771247

How do I remove rear hub and rotor assembly after removing axle?

Submitted: 5 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: GM
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer,

You will need to remove the rear bearing adjusting nut with use of a special tool.
Here is a link where the tool can be purchased.

<http://www.etoolcart.com/kent-moore-wheel-bearing-socket-j-2222-c.aspx>

Then the rotor and hub assembly can be removed from the rear axle.

Object Number: 685938  Size: SH

1. Remove the adjusting nut using the J 2222-C .

2. Object Number: 685939  Size: SH

3. Remove the adjusting nut.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button, otherwise I don't get reimbursed for my time. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Billy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Billy,

I remove adjusting nut. That loosened the hub & rotor assembly. It still will not pull off.

Do I need to remove the bearing? Please advise.

Larry

Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Larry,

There could only be two reasons why the rotor assembly would not slide off the spindle/rear diff housing.

#1 - a seized inner or outer bearing to the spindle. This would only happen if the bearings were overtightened and therefore overheated or due to lack of lubrication. either way the inner race of the bearing would weld it self to the spindle. However if you can see the bearing slide even a little on the spindle, then that's not the problem.

#2 - if you are living in a area where they salt the roads during the winter months, then most likely there is a large "ridge" that had developed on the inner inside edge of the brake rotor and it is preventing the rotor to slide off the park brake shoes.
Try to release the park brake cables and work the rotors back and forth. This may help.

Best regards,
Billy.

Object Number: 370046  Size: SH