JHoop
JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

2000 gmc sierra 1500 pickup: my fuel gauge doesnt work

Customer Question

my fuel gauge doesnt work on my 2000 gmc sierra 1500 pickup what could br the problem and how do i fix it?
Category: GM
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

Engine run OK? They have had problems with the fuel sending units and there is a bulletin with an updated pert.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the engine runs good starts missing when its really low on fuel
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
It is time to replace the fuel pump module. I recommend a Delco unit but some can be had for half the price.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
your saying this can make the fuel gauge not work?
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
The fuel pump is a complete unit and has the fuel level sensor built in. Two problems you have point straight to that module.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there isnt a fuse or relay or censor that could cause this problem
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Yes there is a sensor and it is in the tank as I have stated .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how about if it works on occasion
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
What are you asking for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
because it doesnt work way more than it does
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Maybe you will honor the next experts ability and credentials. It's late and you have been given an answer that works 99 percent of the time. If you are a REAL TECHNICIAN and have been pulling you nose hairs out over this you were asked to state your ability coming on the question.

Follow me. Need description and system operations as well as diagrams to make your own decision?
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

YOu need to take your fuel tank out and replace the fuel pump and sender to fix the problem.

Edited by Anthony on 1/20/2011 at 5:42 AM EST
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
As you can see another expert agrees with me.