Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ years in automotive repair work
12642649

GMC: Acadia is having problems with the tailgate

Customer Question

My GMC 2008 Acadia is having problems with the tailgate. It will open. But it will not stay open. When it get most of the way up, it seems to hesitate, then it will close. If I try to stop it from closing, when I let it go it closes fast and hard. I have tried opening from inside, manually and with the key fob. Each time I get the same results. Can you give me any idea of what the problem might be?
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you need new struts on the lift gate in the back. If you manually open it, it should stay up by itself and when you close it, it should not fall down fast. The struts prevent it from falling fast and holds it up when open. These are covered under the 3/36 warranty if you are still in warranty.