Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech

2000 GMC Sonoma: EVAP..It was intermittent and would clear, now it

I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma, that has a P042 EVAP low pressure sensor fault. It was intermittent and would clear, now it is a steady fault. Where is the sensor located on this model? In the tank or external? I have replaced the gas cap, and the fuel pump was replaced 3 years ago.
the tank pressure sensor is popped in right on top of the fuel tank(# XXXXX in the picture see this picture) most of the time you can reach up on top of the tank and unplug it and pull up and pop out the old one.if it is too tight of an area you can loosen the fuel tank straps and lower the tank a few inches to gain access.depends on how big your hands are but once you can feel it with your hand you can pop it out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will this sensor failure cause the stumbling and bucking I am experiencing? The truck is in good condition and has regular maintenance. This is the only fault displaying when I scan the OBD II. The symptoms are simular to dirty injectors or water in the fuel. I have tried injector cleaner and Heet, but the condition persists. Will changing the sensor cure this, and clearing my "Check Engine Light"? Are there other conditions, or symptoms caused by this sensor failure?
allot of times when those sensors act up they pull down the 5 volt reference and it will effect more than just that the code is a PO442 correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The code is P0452. At one time I got a P0453 High Pressure Sensor code, but it was only one time. I have been reading codes and clearing them for a few months now. The only persistent code showing up has been the P0452 Low Pressure code. It used to reset then come back after a while. Now it will not reset and the Check Engine light stays on all the time.
the PO452 99% of the time is that sensor bad or the connection into the sensor