GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2004 envoy xuv: air suspension..leaking..mornings..it the rear end

Customer Question

The air suspension system in my 2004 envoy xuv is apparently leaking. In the mornings when I get in it the rear end is lowered. What is the problem?
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in a live chat window now.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does it leak down fast when you are driving?

Customer:

I don'

Customer:

I don't believe so. I don't hear the pump operating. Not sure, though.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is there any warnings on the dash about the suspension?

Customer:

NO

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, then it is likely just an air leak.

Customer:

And, how do I fix it?

GM Tech (Cam) :

With a spray bottle of soapy water, spray around the lines and shocks to see if you can see bubbles.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If it is a line, replace the line, if the shocks, then you need to replace the shock that is leakin.

Customer:

So, the lines are connected to the shock or is there a separate boot that fills with air? I don't see lines going to the shocks.

GM Tech (Cam) :

the lines will go in at the top back of the shock

Customer:

What's the difficulty of this? And, do I need to drop the spare tire?

GM Tech (Cam) :

They may need to in order to get at the lines, and if the shock is bad, then you can remove the bolts and change it. They are not that bad to change out.

Customer:

There are no lines to the shocks. I see boots under there that appear to be able to inflate, etdc

GM Tech (Cam) :

The line is small and almost looks like a wire.

Customer:

Nope. There's nothing attached to them. Are you positive? And, what are the two boots for on top on the axle? By the looks of them, they appear they raise and lower.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hold on I will get you a diagram.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, then yours has the air springs not the combo shock.

Customer:

ok?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Full Size Image

GM Tech (Cam) :

Spray around those.

Customer:

Then what? How do I know if they need replacing? Or could it be a bleed valve. When I turn the engine off sometimes I hear a sound in the engine compartment that almost sounds like a relief valve.

Customer:

Thanks for your help but I'm not sure you can help me. I do not accept.

GM Tech (Cam) :

You spray soapy water and see if you can see a leak.

GM Tech (Cam) :

the noise in the engine is not the air for the shocks it is the AC equalizing.