Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

GMC: Acadia..I push on it & indicator goes if but the liftgate

GMC Acadia 2007 not a power liftgate. Liftgate is stuck closed although at times it indicate "liftgate open"; then I push on it & indicator goes if but the liftgate will not open
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

When you operate the handle to open the lift gate is any type of noise heard at all like it is trying to open?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No noise; when the "liftgate message" the lid could be up a very small amount since I can push it down maybe a 1/4 inch?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

From what you have described here this sounds like an electrical failure in the tail gate door latch,if this latch is faulty it can give the message of the door being open and will also keep from opening the door or opening it properly.

Most likely the latch is faulty and would need replaced to correct this concern here.

This can be tricky since the door is stuck closed,some vehicles have a release handle on the inside of the tail gate to manually release this handle so it will open up,you might check to see if your vehicle has an internal handle or lever to release this tail gate.

I would also have the failure codes read out with a scan tool to see if any are set that are related to this problem in the lift gate module.This may aid or even pinpoint the failure in some cases.This is best done by a dealers scan tool as some after market scan tools may not communicate with the lift gate module.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!