Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech with advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

The car revs up and down at idle and some while driving. The engine is running rough. St

The car revs up and down at idle and some while driving. The engine is running rough. Starts fine, but doesn't start well after it's warm.
Category: GM
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

It sounds like you might have a vacuum leak or the fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the intake causing your stalling. This is very common. When this happens, two things happen. Your fuel pressure is low because your fuel system is leaking and the extra fuel goes right into your engine and its not accounted for by the computer. The combination for both of these things can cause all sorts of problems and most likely is the cause of your hard start issue.

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/15/2010 at 8:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What do I do to repair it?

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
If this is in fact leaking, then you have to remove the upper intake manifold and remove and then replace the fuel pressure regulator.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Does that help?

Did you have any further questions?

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/15/2010 at 9:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How hard is it to remove the intake manifold and is there a vacum hose or anything else that could be leaking? This sounds like the same problem I had with my 2008 Ford Expedition and it was a small $5 hose.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
YES.. that is very possible!

THe intake manifold is a bit of a job. THat is why you would want to diagnose to make sure this was the problem before pulling the intake.

YES.. there are more hoses/lines that could leak vacuum. In fact, any one of them that has engine vacuum to it could leak causing your problem!

YES... if this was the case, it would only be a few bucks to fix!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Last question. If I don't do much mechanical work, do you recomend I just check the hoses?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
YES!