Danny
Danny, GMC Technician
Experience:  Fleet mech with gmc vehicles as our primary service auto's
17254274

1989 GMC: K1500..brake light..9 again; could it be the ABS switch

I have a 1989 GMC K1500 that the brake light on the dash has steadily been on until today and it flashes 9 times stops nad repeat 9 again; could it be the ABS switch?
Category: GM
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. Please include everything. Thanks

If you have the RWAL system (rear wheel anti-lock) that e says there's an open in the speed sensor circuit or faulty speedometer.
If you have the 4WAL system....That code doesnt exist...lol
But anyways, to clear the codes on the RWAL, remove the brake fuse for 5 secs and then reinstall it.

If it comes back its the speed sensor or speedometer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How can the speed sensor give a brake code? This light has been on about a month.

Thanks!

Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
the speed sensor gives out a signal to module the module is saying its not getting signal or the wiring or connection is bad. The abs light is not a sign of your brakes going out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I did not respond earlier but our internet has been down. I know exactly where the speed sensor is located and will replace. But why would the brake light come on it being a speed sensor issue, just curious. Seems weird.

Thanks!

Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.

The brake light may be another issue the brake light blinking 9 times and nine times is a blink code describing abs fault. I would check for leaks and soft pedal and for any hydraulic issues.

Thanks and let me know of any other questions you may have.