GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2004 Chevy Impala: The Door Ajar light comes..door locks..keep going

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala The Door Ajar light comes on and the door locks keep going off and on. Just started last night Can you help me?
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

Does the dash indicate which door is open?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The dash does not say which door is ajar, but we checked all of them and made sure they were closed tightly. The chime goes on and the locks also turn off and on. The car seems to run ok, but I don't want to drive it until I find out about this problem

OK, Which lights specifically are going on and off?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only light that is on steadily is the Door Ajar light, but along with that the door locks are also clicking off and on. And the chime rings

OK, I would unplug each door to see which is causing this. One of the door switches has likely failed. This is part of the door latch assembly in each door.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by unplugging each door
Unplug the connector at each door to eliminate that door, if not that, if you have access to a full scan tool to see the data in the Body Control Module, you can tell that way.