Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

2003 yukon: blows cold air..takes 2 long 2 come on has climate control

Customer Question

2003 yukon rear heater blows cold air front heater takes 2 long 2 come on has climate control
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi,I apologize for the delay,

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Has the coolant level been checked to make sure it is full?

Have any fault codes been read out of the Heater/AC computer at all with a scan tool?

Has anything been done to try and correct this problem?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
coolant is full have not used a scan tool when front heater comes on it works until car is shut off then it will not come back on for awhile I am speaking of the fan motor if car is in garage comes on faster if outside takes longer most of the time outside wont come on until car has been at full temp you can only get fan 2 run with climate control at first when it starts working u then can run fan without climate control i guess i am calling automatic the climate control rear heater works perfict but blows cold air i can turn the min i start car the automatic works just right
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

This does sound electrical here with possibly actuator faults or sensor failures,etc.

The first thing that should be done here is the vehicles Heater/AC computer needs checked for fault codes with a scan tool that can communicate with it (a dealer has this type of scan tool as well as other independent shops,some code cheaper code readers may not communicate with this computer).

On allot of the automatic heater/ac systems you can read fault codes that will aid and some times even pinpoint the failure with the system.

With automatic temp settings on some vehicles the blower can take a short time before it will start to blow air out if the temp set in the heater controller is higher then the inside cabin and outside air temperatures.Depending on how big the difference is this can take anywhere from a minute to possibly around 5 minutes.

But if it is taking longer then this then there is definitely a fault in the system and the codes should be checked first to see if any are set and then diagnosed from there.