GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Does a 6.6 l duramax have a fuel pump, lift pump or what. what

Does a 6.6 l duramax have a fuel pump, lift pump or what. what should fuel pressure be at while cranking. will it start if the glow plugs are bad.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

No, these have no lift pump, the injection pump pulls the fuel out of the tank.

No, at that cold it will not start if the glow plugs are bad but they would set codes if even one is out. If the batteries are weak it will not fire as this needs enough cranking RPM to ket the injection pump pressure up enough to fire the engine. Injectors need 10 MPA just to fire.