Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

2002 GMC Sonoma: overheated..We refilled the radiator..bypass

My 2002 GMC Sonoma overheated and stopped on the side of the road last night. We refilled the radiator but it wouldn't restart. The friend who helped me get home said there may be a bypass or restart button that needs to be reset before the engine will start again. Is this true and if so where is the bypass/restart button?
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better,

Does the engine crank over at ll but the vehicle wont start or does turning the key do nothing at all?

Do you hear any unusual noises when trying to start this vehicle?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IT sounds like it wants to crank but that the battery is low
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

This vehicles doesn't have a reset or bypass system that needs to be switched or enabled to re-start the vehicle,if it is being cranked over with the key the vehicle should start right up.

From what it sounds like from here is there may be a possibility of engine damage due to the overheat,this will cause the slow cranking that acts like a dead or weak battery.

Smell the engine oil,if it smells really bad like it has gotten hot or burnt then most likely this engine has damage and will need repaired or replaced.

When the engines overheat for an extended period the engine components heat up and warp or expand,then when they cool they are damaged and will not allow the vehicle to turn over properly or start.

Just to verify though is you can try a jump start just to make sure the battery isn't weak or dead but if with the jump start the engine turns over really slow still then I suspect bearing and or cylinder damage to this engine.I have seen this quite a few times with this type of failure and concern.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!