Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

how do i replace 1999 gmc suburban power window/lock master

how do i replace 1999 gmc suburban power window/lock master switch, driver side
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

so you need to replace the drivers switch assembly in the drivers door panel is this correct?do you have the new switch yet?on either the side or top and bottom of the new switch do you see metal spring retainers?this is it correct?

http://monsterautoparts.com/CHEVROLET/switches/1240021.jpg

Edited by GMwrench on 10/12/2010 at 12:52 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I do not have the new switch yet. Want to know how to remove the old one without breaking anything. Or can I fix just the button that is not working without replacing the entire component? The driver window switch only stopped working but the others are still working. Can I clean that connection? Also all my electric door locks quit a while back--but individually, one quit at a time, so must manually open each one. Is this related to the master driver component?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
those switch assembles are not bad at all to change.you will get under the switch housing assembly with a flat head screw driver and pop it up the complete assembly should pop up.then switch over your new switch to the switch housing and then pop back in.yes it sure sounds like a master switch is bad
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...so we replaced switch and the problem is still the same. This problem was somewhat intermittent for a couple of days before the switch went totally. Do we have a wiring issue??
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
so will the master swicth operate ANY of the other windows?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, with the new master switch component all other buttons continue to work as did with old component, only the driver front window is not responding.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok do you have a multi meter or test light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes have test light
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok pop out that switch again turn the key on and connect the test light clip to a GOOG GROUND test and make sure it will light up when you touch the test light tip to power that it in fact lights up.now find a big brown wire off that switch and a big dark blue.they should be the only 2 BIGGER wires coming off that back of that switch and the only 2 BIG wires that color can you find them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
found the dark blue and brown wires
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok make sure the test light is working.then with the key on put the test light into the dark blue wire terminal push up then push down on the drivers window switch.tell me what way it shows power then do the same for the brown up and down and tell me which way it lights up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dark blue is up, brown is down
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

ok it seems that switch is switching properly more than likely that drivers window motor is bad.remove the door panel and if the wires look good to the motor change the motor

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will remove door panel and check wiring to motor, then go return new switch at store and purchase new motor as needed. thanks for the help so far, will let you know if need more assistance once get to motor.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok now that motor is riveted into the regulator assembly.you are going to need a drill and drill bits and a bigger rivet gun to rivet in the new motor assembly
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience: 15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech