cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models

My 2009 h3 hummer makes a loud kind of grinding noise..transfer case

Customer Question

My 2009 H3 Hummer makes a loud kind of grinding noise when I must come to a sudden stop. The shop I took the Hummer to thought it was the transfer case and replaced it. However, when I got it back Friday it is still making the same noise. Any ideas??
Category: GM
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 6 years ago.
Is this only when braking?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes but only if I have to make a sudden stop. If it is a gradual stop when I can ease down it doesn't happen. I know it's not the brakes though because for example if I'm at a stop light and I let the hummer pull itself and ease off the break I don't hear the noise at all.
Ok but if it happens when braking hard it could be the rotors that are causing this noise . Were the brakes checked?So they replaced the front transfer case for this issue?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if it was the rotors I would think that the vhicle would chimmey when braking because all vehicles needing rotors replaced do that. Also the shop changed the oil and did a full inspection
They would only shimmy if they are warped if they are rusted or the pads glazed will cause this noise. Another issue could be a wheel bearing issue .Honeslty I think it's a caliper and rotor issue . If it's only when braking and the transfer case was replaced and the front axles checked this along with the differential needs to be checked next. They really need to have the truck in the air a tech driving it and trying to duplicate the noise and a tech under the truck with a set of chassis ears similar to a doctors stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. This is how they need to diagnose the issue. Also contact corperate to file a complaint since the same issue is there . These are the next steps and proper way to diagnose this issue. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.