John, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience
6408229

Replace the front left low beam bulb in my 2008 GMC 1500 Sierra?

How do I replace the front left low beam bulb in my 2008 GMC 1500 Sierra?
Category: GM
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Here is information to help you.

Headlamp Bulb Replacement (GMC)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Open and support the hood assembly.
  2. If replacing the headlamp bulbs on the passenger side, remove the air cleaner box assembly.
  3. If replacing the low beam headlamp bulb on the driver side, remove the headlamp assembly. Rotate the bulb socket counter-clockwise and remove from the headlamp composite.

1

Headlamp Bulb (Hi Beam)

2

Headlamp Bulb (Low Beam)

Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  1. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (2) from the mass air flow (MAF)/intake air temperature (IAT) sensor .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  2. Pull up on the front of the air cleaner assembly in order to release the retainers (2) from the air cleaner adapter.
  3. Slide the air cleaner assembly forward disengaging the locator (1) from the adapter.
  4. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  5. If replacing the air cleaner assembly proceed to the following step otherwise proceed to step 5 in the installation procedure.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  6. Loosen the MAF/IAT sensor adapter clamp.
  7. Remove the MAF/IAT sensor and adapter.
Headlamp Replacement (GMC HD)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the front Right or Left wheelhouse liner. Loosen only, do not remove, the lower outside hidden headlamp bolt (2).
  2. Pull the lamp assembly slightly forward to access the electrical connection.
  3. Disconnect the forward lamp harness main electrical connector from the headlamp harness.

1

Headlamp Screws (Qty: 2)

Tighten
Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in)

2

Headlamp Screw (Hidden)

Tighten
Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in)

3

Headlamp Housing Support

Tip
Depress the housing support tab with a flat-bladed tool downward in order to release the headlamp assembly from the support.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Drivers side low beam. More detail needed.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
LOL..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are probably correct, but it seems difficult to believe that to change a headlight bulb you must start with loosing the wheelhouse liner. This looks like more than a five minute job. I will take it to the dealer. I think the engineer or designer should do the repair!
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

This info is from GM .I agree it is ridiculous to change a headlamp bulb,but this is the way it is. I have worked with terrible of designed products to service for years & have always said "I wish the person who designed this was her".As you can guess ,it never happened.

Keep in mind I am just a technician passing information to you,I did not & would not make a design like this.

John, GMC Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience