Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

My 2002 GMC Yukon XL wont start, all lights and everything

My 2002 GMC Yukon XL won't start, all lights and everything works, but not a single sound when trying to start the car with the key.

When I went under the car and touched the terminal of the starter solenoid and starter I was able to crank the car right away and started it.

Ran a light tester to the wire that attaches to the starter solenoid and no power. I believe the wire is a purple wire.

Inside the cabin, near the door side door panal, the crank fuse 10A does not get any voltage. Is it normal for it not to get any voltage until the car actually starts?

I don't believe it is the security system, because I was able to start the car by touching the solenoid and starter wires.

Tomorrow I will print the wiring diagram and try to trace the purple wire and check for voltage.
Chat Conversation Started
Pete :

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.The purple wire should have voltage on it when turning the key all the way to crank the engine over as well as the crank fuse it should have voltage on this fuse when cranking,if it doesnt like you have said here then you could possibly if this vehicle has a starter relay could be a faulty relay,faulty ignition switch(most common) or the security system may be disabling the starter either because it doesnt recognize the key anymore or there is an internal electrical fault within the security components,if it is security related though then the security light would have lit up when the vehicle was started by you when you jumped the starter and most likely if it was a security issue even when you jumped the starter it shouldnt have even started as usualy the security system will disable fuel or spark as well.Try shifting the vehicle to neutral and see if it starts then if it does then you have an electrical failure in the neytral saftey switch on the transmission and either needs adjusted or replaced to correct it,if it doesnt start in park or neutral then most likely the ignition switch has failed and needs replaced to correct this failure,the electronic ignition switch has multiple contacts in it that power up devices when turned on and also to crank the starter when the key is turned to the crank position,if the terminal in the switch has failed for the crank positon then this failure will happen,so you could have an internal electrical failure in the electronic ignition switch here,we have had to replace some of these in our dealership.

Pete :

I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,if you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click the accept answer button as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Let me know if you need anything else,Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put car in neutral and attempted to start car, nothing happens. Do you happen to know where I can find a wiring diagram for this model car?
from what i can see the power to the crank fuse comes right from the electronic ignition switch,so if you have no power to the crank fduse then the most likely cause is the elctronic ignition switch,i have schematic but for some reason it wont let me upload it,if i ccan find it i will try and upload another way,let me know if this helped,Thanks Pete.dont wory about the relay as the first step is to get voltage to the crank fuse from the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you could email it [email protected], that would be helpful.  I will check the ignition switch.  Thanks for all the help.  <br /><br />Thanks.