Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

How to install a antenna base on 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 ?

Customer Question

How to install a antenna base on 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 ? Sam
Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
  • Remove the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.
  • Remove the auxiliary battery, if equipped
  • graphic

• Remove the 3 bolts.
  • Remove the cable grommet from the body.
  • Remove upper dash panel.
  •  

• Disconnect the antenna cable from the extension cable.
  • Tie a long wire to the antenna cable.
  • From outside of the vehicle, pull the antenna base and cable assembly until the wire can be easily accessible.Ensure part of the wire is still in the vehicle
  • Remove the wire from the antenna cable
  • Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    You said disconnect antenna cable from extension cable, is extension cable the short cable on the assembly I have? Also where is the upper dash panel?
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

The extension cable runs from the back of the radio to the area behind the passenger side of the dash. That is why the upper dash must be removed. Let me know if you need additional instruction on removal of the upper dash panel.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Is pulling the top of the dash off the only way to get to the cable? As you can tell I don't have much experience at this, so all the help I can get, I need.
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Yes pulling the top of the dash is the only way to get to the cable.

graphic

Remove the end panels by pulling straight out. The left panel is shown, and the right panel is similar

Remove bezel around tauge cluster by tilting steering wheel down, set park brake and move shift lever all the way down. Then pull bezel straight back.

graphic

• Remove the right side air outlets by prying from dash.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the assist handle by depressing the release tabs accessed through the air outlet duct holes.
  • Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings.
  • Remove the screws retaining the trim panel to dash assembly. Screws are at each end, behind right side vent outlets and around perimeter of gauge cluster.
  •  

graphic

graphic

Lift the trim panel up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim panel

Pull panel straight back.