Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2004 gmc sierra 1500: it to do a front brake job? is..rotors..pads

2004 gmc sierra 1500 4x4. 120K miles.How difficult is it to do a front brake job? is there anything beyond basic i need to be aware of. i think my rotors are warped and the pads getting real low. 6yrs and never needed brakes yet.
Category: GM
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It is a standard brake job on this. The only special tool you may not have is a T55 torx bit to remove the caliper to caliper bracket bolts. Otherwise it is straightforward.

1. Remove 2 / 3 of the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Wheel Caliper. Suspend the caliper from the frame with mechanic's wire. Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose. Caliper mounting bracket bolts Caliper mounting bracket from the steering knuckle assembly Brake pads from the caliper mounting bracket Clips from the inside ends of the caliper mounting bracket and discard

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Clips to the inside ends of the caliper mounting bracket Brake pads to the caliper mounting bracket Inner pad (1 wear indicator) Outer pad (2 wear indicators) Caliper mounting bracket to the steering knuckle assembly
  2. Perform the following procedure before installing the caliper mounting bracket bolts:
    1. Remove all traces of the original adhesive patch.
    2. Clean the threads of the bolt with brake parts cleaner or the equivalent and allow to dry.
    3. Apply red Loctite®272 to the threads of the bolt.

3. Install or connect the following:

Caliper mounting bracket bolts to the steering knuckle. Tighten the caliper guide pin bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) on 15 series or 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm) on 25/35 series. Caliper Tire and wheel assembly
  4. Refill the master cylinder to the proper level with fresh brake fluid. Pump the brake pedal slowly and firmly in order to seat the brake pads. Burnish the brakes as needed.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

If rotors need to be replaced, remove caliper bracket and rotor should slide right off. If rotor is stubborn to slide off, use a deadblow hammer to hit the backside of rotor to pop it free

Click image to see an enlarged view

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

2. Remove or disconnect the following:

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

3. Install or connect the following:

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image