John, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience

I AM CHANGING BRAKE PADS ON A 05 GMC SIERRA 2500HD 4X4 AND

Customer Question

I AM CHANGING BRAKE PADS ON A 05 GMC SIERRA 2500HD 4X4 AND I CANNOT GET THE BRAKE PADS OUT FOR ANYTHING I UNDID THE 18MM BOLTS THAT HOLD THE CALIPER ON WHELL ASSEMBLY. DO I HAVE TO UNDO THE T-55 STAR BOLTS AS WELL ? THEY ARE SOLID AND WONT BUDGE
Category: GM
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Customer:

HI

john :

These bolts are very tight & you may need a good break over bar.
I am going to send info on replacement of the rear brake pads for this vehicle,be right back.

Customer:

I TRIED TO BREAK W BAR.... NO GO AND YOU CANT GET A SOCKET ON TOPONE CUZ OF LEAF SPRING

Customer:

so you have to undo both sets of bolts ?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Rear Disc Brake Pads Replacement (1500 Series w/o NYS)

.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the fluid level is midway between the maximum - full point, and the minimum allowable level, no fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum - full point, and the minimum allowable level, remove fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  4. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Compress the brake caliper piston.
    5.1. Install a large C-clamp over the top of the caliper housing and against the back of the outboard pad.
    5.2. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed completely into the caliper bores.
    5.3. Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  5. Remove the brake caliper bolts.

.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  6. Remove the caliper from the caliper bracket.

Support the caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  7. Remove the brake pads from the caliper bracket.
  8. Remove the brake pad retainers.
  9. Inspect the caliper and caliper bracket.

10. Object Number: 728143  Size: SH
  11. Using a C-clamp (1), bottom the piston into the caliper bore. Use an old brake pad (2) or wooden block placed across the face of the piston. Do not damage the piston or the caliper boot.
    Object Number: 177028  Size: SH

Important: Use a small flat-bladed tool and lift the inner edge caliper boot next to the piston to release any trapped air.

12. Ensure that the piston boot is below the level of the piston face.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  13. Install the brake pad retainers to the caliper bracket.

Important: Ensure that the wear sensor is positioned at the leading edge, upward, of the inner pad during forward wheel rotation.

14. Install the brake pads.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  15. Install the caliper to the caliper bracket.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  16. Install NEW brake caliper bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 108 N·m (80 lb ft).

17. Install the tire and wheel assembly. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  18. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  19. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 9-10 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the caliper pistons and pads.
  20. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid, if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no straight anwser and a bunch of waiting what am i paying for ???? i have a 2500 hd...not a 1500

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

MAN UP DUDE.put something into it.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Rear Disc Brake Pads Replacement (1500 Series w/NYS, 25/3500 Series)

.

Object Number: 687185  Size: SH
  4. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Compress the brake caliper pistons.
    5.1. Install 2 large C-clamps over the top of the caliper housing and against the back of the outboard pad.

Object Number: 913587  Size: SH
  5. Remove the brake caliper bolts.
  6. Remove the caliper from the caliper bracket .

Support the caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the caliper.

Object Number: 369668  Size: SH
  8. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips.

Object Number: 369668  Size: SH
  1. Install the anti-rattle clips to the caliper bracket.
  2. Install the brake pads.
    Object Number: 913587  Size: SH
  3. Install the caliper to the caliper bracket . Install the brake caliper bolts.
  4. Tighten

5. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Remove the safety stands.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  8. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  9. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the caliper pistons and pads.
  10. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid, if necessary.