John, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience

2000 gmc: the nut to 406ft/lbs the spindle articulation torque..tight

how do you set up kingpins in a 2000 gmc c 6500
when I torque the nut to 406ft/lbs the spindle articulation torque is to tight and changing the torque does not cange the articulation torque of the spindle in fact just snuging up the nut makes it to tight
Category: GM
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

You will need to change the shim thickness .

Tools Required

Tension Scale
King Pin Holding Tool

Object Number: 201718  Size: SH

1. Check the king pin bearing or steering knuckle preload torque. Place the string (2) on the steering knuckle (1) at the point where the threads meet the spindle.
  2. Pull the knuckle from lock position to lock position. Note the scale reading, ignoring the force needed to start the rotation.

The correct reading should be 30-60 N·m (22-44 lb ft). If the reading is outside of these limits, change the shim thickness.

Object Number: 201706  Size: SH

3. In order to change the shim, the king pin nut must be removed. Object Number: 201703  Size: LH

4. Change the thickness of the shim (4).
    In order to increase the torque, reduce the shim thickness.
    In order to decrease the torque, increase the shim thickness.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Check the king pin nut (2) for correct torque specification.

Tighten the king pin nut (2) to 550 N·m (406 lb ft).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The shim or spacer I have is th thickest one and in the spindle it ( the spacer ) is well above the bottom of the race on the top of the spindle and from what my dealer is telling me is that the spacer or shim is not available in the service kit any more and that they have to come from meritor at 45 dollars a pop if you have any other help it would be much appreciated. Since I have done every thing that you had told me allready and still not able to set them up right
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

I find it hard to believe that a shim costs 45.00,but I have worked for a dealer long enough to know that there is no limit to their 'mark up" if they think they can get it.

i suggest you try some of the truck shops or even Ford or Dodge,for shims .All that matters is the thickness of the shim & the hole size of the king pin.Try these places also.