GMC Tech
GMC Tech, GMC Technician
Experience:  Pa state emissions cert. GM training in all areas. 5 years as a technician top of graduating class.

I have a2001 chevy s10 pickup. The secondary air system motor

I have a2001 chevy s10 pickup. The secondary air system motor Was tight. I was able to get to run on the bench. Reinstalled but it still will not work. Code P0410 secondary air system. There is a fuse Iam sure, but I cannot find one that is bad. Any ideas wher to look would be great. Thanks
Category: GM
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello GM has had lots of issues with the secondary air injection pumps if there is water inside the air pump then it needs replaced. There is a service bulletin on p0410 but when they get any type of moisture it damages them. I myself have tried to lube and reinstall the pump but due to lack of pressure output it would set check engine light. I'll post the bulletin below. I would also inspect the air injection relays for corrosion or water intrusion.

2001 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 2WD | Blazer, Bravada, Envoy, Jimmy, S10 Pickup, Sonoma (VIN S/T) Service Manual | Document ID:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

#04-06-04-015A: LN2, L43 or L35 Engine SES/MIL Light Illuminated, AIR Pump Ingesting Water and DTC P0410 Set (Replace AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly) - (Nov 28, 2006)

Subject:LN2, L43 or L35 Engine SES/MIL Light Illuminated, AIR Pump Ingesting Water and DTC P0410 Set (Replace AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly)

Models:1999-2003 Chevrolet Blazer, S10
1999-2001 GMC Jimmy
1999-2003 GMC Sonoma
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
with Vortec 2.2L I4 or 4.3L V6 Engine (VINs 4, 5, W -- RPOs LN2, L43, L35)

This bulletin is being revised to remove a part number and change the two AIR pump part numbers in the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-015 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the SES/MIL light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find a DTC P0410 indicating that there is a concern in the secondary air injection system.

P0410 Set (Replace AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly) - (Nov 28, 2006)

Models:1999-2003 Chevrolet Blazer, S10
1999-2001 GMC Jimmy
1999-2003 GMC Sonoma
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition

Cause

Water may have collected in the AIR pump or the vent solenoid and frozen or corroded the pump.

Correction

Replace the AIR pump and install a new inlet hose and solenoid tube assembly using the following procedure:

• Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  • Remove the shield covering the AIR pump.
  • Remove the hose and vacuum lines from the pump and solenoid.
  • Remove the AIR pump inlet hose. Do not re-use the hose.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors from the pump and solenoid.
  • Remove the pump mounting bolts and pump.
  • Transfer the isolators from the old pump to the new pump.
  • Install the new AIR pump and bolts to the vehicle.
  • Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 17 N·m (12.5 lb ft).

• Route the new hose assembly up between the engine and fender. The hose should come up near the area between the battery and the coolant bottle.
  • Connect the new inlet hose to the pump inlet.
  • Connect the old outlet hose to the pump outlet.
  • Connect the electrical connector to the pump.
  • Connect the electrical connector for the solenoid to the connector on the new hose assembly.
  • Connect the hose with the white nipple to the vacuum source hose.
  • Connect the remaining hose to the shut off valve.
  • Install the shield covering the AIR pump.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Remove the coolant reservoir nut nearest the battery.
  • Route the new hose assembly between the battery and the coolant reservoir with the solenoid on top.
  • Install the solenoid bracket onto the coolant reservoir stud and reinstall the nut back into the vehicle.
  • Use a wire tie to keep the new hose assembly away from the engine. On four cylinder engines, tie to the AIR outlet hose. On six cylinder engines, tie to an available hole in the radiator fan shroud.
  • Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

17803251

Pump Kit, Secondary Air Injection

2001 L35

2000-2003 L43/LN2

1

17803252

Pump Kit, Secondary Air Injection

1999-2000 L35

1

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried checking for voltage to the pump and found that none is present after the pressure differential switch has made. Where would the relay or fuse controlling this pump be located.
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 3 years ago.
Let me do a little checking and i'll get back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your time . I'll accept as soon as I receive your answer.
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 3 years ago.

Here's the location of the fuse and relay block from what the picture is showing if your standing in front of the vehicle it's on the left hand front corner. Not sure if your S-10 is a base model or a uplevel so i'll post both illustrations. From what they are showing it's a 10amp fuse in the underhood fuse block.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

GMC Tech, GMC Technician
Experience: Pa state emissions cert. GM training in all areas. 5 years as a technician top of graduating class.