Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2003 GMC Yukon: I access and replace the oil pressure sending unit

How do I access and replace the oil pressure sending unit on my 2003 GMC Yukon 5.3
Category: GM
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It is located towards the top rear of the engine on the left side. You will need to remove the top engine cover in order to access and replace it:

remove the engine sight shield.

• Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
  • Using J 41712 or equivalent, remove the oil pressure sensor.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Using J 41712 or equivalent, remove the oil pressure sensor.

•  

To install:

1. Apply sealant to the threads of the oil pressure sensor.
    2. Using J 41712 or equivalent, install the oil pressure sensor.
      1. Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).

3. Connect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
    4. If necessary, install the engine sight shield.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've tried removing the cover and was unable to locate the sending unit. Is it really buried back there? Also, what is J 41712 or equivalent? Do I have to buy a special tool?

Have you actually changed one or is your answer just a cut and paste from a manual?

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

HI,

I have changed a few of them. It is a little buried, but is accessible without removing anything else.

The J 41712 is just a speciality socket made to fit over the entire oil sending unit without breaking the top connector. They are about $10 at Autozone or Napa. You can also use a wrench, but there isnt much room for much more that 1/4 turns of the wrench at a time and therefore somewhat time consuming.

here is another diagram:

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I have a GM sending unit socket from several years ago. Have they changed (probably a dumb question). Thanks for the answer. I'll go dig into it.
    Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

HI,

If its not more than 15yrs old, it should still work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Just now got to the truck and the sending unit is not that on my 5.3 (according to the diagrams in your reply) I think I can feel the unit (from the top of the fire wall) down by the top of the tranny. No way to get at it from the top. It's definetely NOT on the top/back of the motor. So it's not just any 5.3, it msut be specific to my make and model. I twist wrenches on stuff all the time and this in clearly not just me.