Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ years in automotive repair work

2003 Yukon Xl Denali: the oil pressure pegged at 80 PSI..gauge

I have a 2003 Yukon Xl Denali with the 6.0 and a 2004 with the 6.0. Recently both of them have the oil pressure pegged at 80 PSI according to the dash gauge. Strange that they both did it around the same time. Is the sending unit the probable issue?
Is this a common issue? I have had both of these for some time and they have been great. This is the first issue that I have had. They are high mileage yukons but have been great. Any idea of repair cost if you have any insight?
Hello <a href="../profile.aspx?PF=35904728&FID=111"Customer

These trucks had issues with the guages sticking in the cluster. They have a recall on them up to 80,000 miles i think. You would need a scan tool to preform a guage sweep to tell for sure if it is a cluster.
There is a sending unit that also can be the problem. The sending unit is on top of the engine behind the intake. Hard to get to but you can get to it. Unplug it and it should go to 0 and then jump the gray wire to the tan wire with the white stripe and the guage should go to max pressure. The engine computer monitors the oil pressure switch and sends it to the cluster over a data line.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The guage will move up when the vehicle starts and go back dwon when the truck is turned off. Would that still potentially be the cluster. It moves up and down as if the sending unit is the issue. Am I assuming too much in thinking its not the cluster if the gauge goes up and down when the truck is started and turned off. Maybe I am assuming that it would just stay pegged at 80 psi if the gauge was sticking in the cluster.
More than likely its just a sender issue. I normally compare the reading on a scan tool to what the cluster says it is. I have seen them off before by 20 psi.

How many miles on the vehicles?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
132,000 on one of them and 170,000 on the other. Low mileage cream puffs!!!
They are way out of the special policy.
Throw a sender in them and then recheck it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that any idea on cost? Parts....Labor?
Dealer sells them for around $70. local auto part store around $35-$45
places will install it from $50-100 to replace
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help!!!!!