Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy.The Low Oil Pressure signal came on,and

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy.The Low Oil Pressure signal came on,and said to turn engine off.I checked oil level,and found it low at add line,added a quart and checked oil filter,and drain plug screw.Found oil leaking out of oil sending unit, where plastic meets metal.I took it for a cruise after I replaced oil sending unit, check engine light went out after about a mile.oil pressure gauge read at 42.I thought I had fixed but when I pulled into my drive way,the low pressure light came on,and gauge slammed to nothing.Seems to go low when idling.
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

You will need to do a actual oil pressure test with a mechanical guage to see if its low. If it is low then you can start by doing a engine flush then checking the pickup tube to see if its clogged. If not replace the oil pump, and if problem is still there you have a internal engine problem causing low pressure such as worn bearings. If oil pressure is good bring it to the dealership to have them reflash the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) with the latest update per TSB #01-08-49-006. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.