JHoop
JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Trying to find out what year my chevy 350 block was manufactured

trying to find out what year my chevy 350 block was manufactured
Category: GM
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

V8 codes are stamped on a pad just forward of the right side (passenger) cylinder head.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Casting # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNUnder the 5.7LG reads SMC6, and I found what I believe to be the manufacture date of C129, which tell March 12, of year ending in 9. The guy I bought it off of said it was a 86. It is also a roller block which I know was made starting in 86. I just want to make sure of year, plus is it in what decade. Also if it is 1989, factory had an little distributor with external coil, can I use internal, big distributor since truck is 1984.
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
That would be a 1989 Corvette, IROC or Trans AM block. VIN 8

Any SBC distributor will install.

Whether it works is on the technician.
JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

trying to find that info myself for reference, can you direct me to where i can find that. When i google.(NNN) NNN-NNNNi get nothing. Trying to build a 383 stroker, have lower end assy. trying to put togeter top end. Any info would be great. Thanks for the help so far.

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
You are building a stroker motor. All suppliers have the same info I have.

Makes no sense to ask this question and then need proof, when this can be had at any supplier for a 383 kit.

That info is not on the internet.

I have the database and cannot make a document of it .

Since it is not on the internet, I would require 2 houses in Malibu, Ca to make documents of this.

Ask a stroker engine supplier to verify this onfo.

I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop.

Edited by JHoop on 3/29/2010 at 5:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe you missunderstood me. Not needing stroker info. I am one of those guy who like to know where references are, in case of later use. Not critisising your answer or anything like that. you were great. Sorry for the confusion.