John, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience
6408229

I need to locate the Canister Purge Control Solenoid on a 2006

I need to locate the Canister Purge Control Solenoid on a 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 , 3.5 liter engine?
Category: GM
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

It is located

On the left side of the engine, rear of the throttle body

here is help to replace .

Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Disconnect the electrical connector (6) from the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve (5).
  2. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge pipe from the EVAP canister purge valve.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Remove the EVAP canister purge valve bolt (1).
  4. Remove the EVAP canister purge valve (3) and gasket (2) from the intake manifold.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Position the EVAP canister purge valve (3) and gasket (2) to the intake manifold.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the EVAP canister purge valve bolt (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Connect the EVAP canister purge pipe to the EVAP canister purge valve. Connect the electrical connector (6) to the EVAP canister purge valve (5).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello, it is not the valve, it is the Canister Purge Control Solenoid, not the valve.you sent me info to change the valve, I dont need to change the valve, the part I have does not have any bolt holes, it has a slot looks like it slides onto a male fitting. it is flat, the part I have is Evaporator Emission Canister Solenoid , Canister purge control solenoid, not the Evap canister purge valve.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The canister purge control solenoid valve IS the

canister control purge valve .

maybe you have the wrong part .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the part I have is called the Canister Purge Control Solenoid, it is not a valve of any kind, it is a box with 2 hoses coming out of it, and it is what the PO449 code said it was, so the parts warehouse sent me this canister purge control solenoid, they say it goes on the fuel tank, but I dont see how, and also another mechanic told me that nothing goes inside the canister, that this part must be located in a remote place connecting it to hoses to get to the canister on top of the fuel tank. So I still need to know where this part is located so I can fix it and get my emissions check for registration.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

OK,what you have is a canister solenoid vent valve.

Ity is locate on top of the fuel tankl & the tank must come down to replace it.

Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement (Short Wheel Base)

1. Remove the fuel tank.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

2. Disconnect the electrical harness connector (4) from the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent valve.
  3. Disconnect the EVAP vent hose from the EVAP canister vent valve (2).
  4. Release the lock tab on the EVAP canister vent bracket and remove the EVAP canister vent valve.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the EVAP canister vent valve (2) on the EVAP canister vent bracket. Pull on the valve to ensure tab is locked.
  2. Connect the EVAP vent hose to the EVAP canister vent valve.
  3. Connect the electrical harness (4) to the EVAP canister vent valve.
  4. Install the fuel tank. .