Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1998 gmc: diagram..the fuel tank other than the bolts..plastic

I need the underbody diagram on a 1998 gmc jimmy, or what else holds the fuel tank other than the bolts and the plastic protector on the outer side>
Is your Jimmy a 2 door model or 4 door?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
four door

After removing the bolts and plastic shield, remove the bolts and metal straps that secure the fuel tank. Refer to the picture below. Let me know if you have additional questions.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I gotta go get the guy working on it to see this. I am doing the research for him and the cooking while he is doing the actual work. Hang on a minute. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you need to slide the fuel tank forward after all straps and bolts and the plastic are removed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The plastic on the front side cannot be removed because there is an angle under it where the fuel tank slides up into it
You should be able to remove the plastic with the tank once the straps are removed. The fuel tank can be slid forward or back to clear the frame and other obstructions. Make sure to disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connection on top of the tank before lowering the tank too far.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We cannot get it down far enough to see the hoses except the hose for filling the the tank, and we cannot see the electrical wires. We will knock some more dirt and rust off and see if it will drop a little
The tank can stick to the frame due to the undercoating. Removing the fill hose will allow the tank to drop further as well.