GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

my door wont open on my 98 chevy silverado

my door won't open on my 98 chevy silverado
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Welcome. Did you replace any parts such as the inner door handle? They are common for breaking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no... there is something that is not catching like it should to lift the thing that catches and release the latch that allows you to open and close the door.

Ok, this is likely the inner handle. The part that that you pull often cracks behind the main part and starts to bend then break causing the door not to open. Often if the bezel is removed, it allows it to work.

The handle is about 45.00 and is not hard to replace.

Drill out the rivet once you get the door panel off, slide the handle forward, then remove the 2 rods. Install the 2 rods, then install the handle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its not the inside handle. it is actually where something should be catching on the inside. graphic. Can you see the picture? This does not lift up when the rods are moved.

No, the picture does not show.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have an email address I can send the picture to? I can't get it to upload.

singleuseja3@telus.net is only good for this question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
picture is on its way. the silver thing inside will not move up to release the latch.
OK, if the linkage is moving to the latch assembly, then this latch had failed. With the door handle pulled, use something to rotate that latch. If it is, then you need to replace the latch. ALso check the door pins and bushings. They are common for failing and causing accelerated wear on this latch. Lift on the end of the door to see if there is any movement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is the problem. when the door handle is pulled the thing wont come up to release the latch. (if you haven't noticed i am a female and to be honest with you, my husband is out of town and would kill me if he new i did this)

Then your latch has probably worn out and there is nothing we can do at this time without replacing it.

I won't tell him if you don't. But you can help him when he does look at this and atleast know what is happening.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your patience. the main concern is that if I shut the door (he has someone he can take it to to fix it) they wont be able to get it open again. Any suggestions?
Good point. I would close the window and prop it closed so he can look at it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. thanks for your help.
No problem.
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.