Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE/GM Master Certified 25Years
Experience:  GM Master Certified ASE Master Certified 25 Years Dealership Experience
20496363

1991 GMC Safari Van: two rear..doors when the door latch does not work

This is for a auto body expert.

I have a 1991 GMC Safari Van with two rear doors. The hanndle on the lock broke and I can not open the rear doors. Is there any way to open these doors when the door latch does not work?
Category: GM
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 4 years ago.

You have to remove the trim panels & access the latch mechanism to open the doors. Thats the only way I've been able to get them open without destroying the doors.

Patience be with you.

Experience: GM Master Certified ASE Master Certified 25 Years Dealership Experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am willing to add to your fee for this work.

It appears that the trim panels are not removable without destroying them.

Is it possible to cut the hinges to remove either of the doors? Where would I get new hinges?

Do you know if there are illustrated parts lists for these vans that show the physical arrangement of the back door interiors, their component parts, and part numbers?

What part numbers would a dealer use to order new parts and where would they get the numbers?

You can try this, but make sure you have the replacement parts first...

Service Procedure
Notes
1. Position J 41226-4 template around upper hinge and tape to vehicle.
Important: When repairing a Suburban, you must remove .020" from the top of the hinge pins using a file or grinder. (This will remove the case hardness to ease the drilling process.)
2. Install J 41226-2 small drill guide bushing to J 41226-1 drill fixture.
Important: The drill guide bushings are two sided to fit the top of the door hinge pins. Make sure to install the proper end that best fits the hinge pin head to ensure center for drilling.
3. Install J 41226-1 drill fixture onto hinge assembly and tighten lower screw to secure fixture to hinge.
4. Remove J 41226-11 small drill from the container and install J 41226-15 drill stop collar 1-3/4" from the drill point.
Important: In most cases, drilling through the first quarter of the hinge should be sufficient to remove hinge pin, however some pins may require additional drilling at which time the stop collar is no longer needed.
5. Assemble J 41226-11 small drill into J 41226-5 U-joint with the flat facing set screw, and tighten screw using J 41226-13 allen key.
6. Assemble J 41226-5 U-joint into drill motor and insert small drill into drill bushing.
7. Drill out the upper portion of the hinge pin using the small drill/stop collar. Use a slow drill speed and J 41226-6 cutting fluid.
Important: When removing the drill for cleaning or oiling of hole, chips will fall into hole causing poor drilling conditions. This can be corrected by bumping the drill three or four times while drilling in the bottom of the hole to lift the chips off the drill point.
8. Remove J 41226-1 drill fixture and replace J 41226-2 small drill guide bushing with J 41226-3 larger drill guide bushing.
Important: Be sure the proper end of bushing fits the hinge pin head.
9. Reinstall J 41226-1 drill fixture with larger bushing onto hinge assembly and tighten lower screw.
10. Remove J 41226-11 small drill from J 41226-5 U-joint.
11. Remove J 41226-12 medium (.323") drill from the container and assemble drill into J 41226-5 U-joint with flat facing set screw and tighten.
12. Position medium drill into drill bushing and drill until drill bottoms in first hole. Use J 41226-6 cutting fluid.
13. Remove J 41226-1 drill fixture from hinge assembly.
14. Install J 41226-21 hinge pin remover into air hammer.
15. Position J 41226-21 pin remover into hinge pin hole and remove pin from hinge assembly using air hammer.
Notice: In some cases the hinge pin will not move from hinge assembly. If this occurs, the hinge pin will require additional drilling using the small drill without the stop collar and the medium drill.
15. Repeat steps 1-15 on lower hinge assembly before continuing.
17. Disconnect the door strap and remove door assembly from vehicle.
18. Remove J 41226-10 large drill from container and assemble drill into J 41226-5 U-joint with flat facing set screw and tighten.

19. Drill out the center portion of the hinge (center side of hinge) using a slow drill speed and J 41226-6 cutting fluid (Figure 1, Item 2).
Important: This step is required to properly remove the rust and corrosion from the hinge assembly as well as the old hinge pin bushings.
20. Lubricate the center hinge assembly using GM part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN
21. Install new hinge pin bushings using J 41226-7 bushing Installer (Figure 1, Item 1).
22. Reinstall the door and align hinge assemblies.
23. Using a plastic hammer, install both hinge pins 3/4 of their length down in the hinge (Figure 1, Item 3).
24. Install J 41226-4 protective template to upper hinge.
25. Reinstall J 41226-1 drill fixture with J 41226-3 large bushing onto hinge assembly and position lower screw into hinge and tighten screw to secure fixture.
Important: J 41226-1 fixture and J 41226-3 bushing will act as a guide to finish installation of the hinge pins when using J 41226-21 and air hammer.
26. Using the air hammer and J 41226-21, install the hinge pin until hinge pin bottoms on upper hinge body.
27. Remove fixture and repeat steps 23-26 on lower hinge.
28. Apply touch-up paint where necessary.