John, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience
6408229

2004 GMC: driver side window..my door locks wont work either.This

Customer Question

I have a 2004 GMC Canyon.
My driver side window will not go up or down and my door locks won't work either.
This has happened to my Canyon twice before.
The first two times, however, my window was in the up position. This time, it is half way down. I did not do anything about the problem the last couple of times, but after a couple of weeks or so, they suddenly started working.
This time, with my window stuck in the down position, I don't think I can wait.
I have read this problem before concerning the Canyon but with no clear answer to the problem. Can you help please!
Category: GM
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

There are a couple of possibilities that may cause your problem & it will require some inspection.

PIT3164B: Fuse 42 Opens When using The Power Windows Or Sporadic Door Locks - keywords electrical fuse glass inoperative link lock unlock open switch UBEC window - (May 8, 2009)

Subject:Fuse 42 Opens When Using The Power Windows or Sporadic Door Locks

Models:2004-2009 Chevrolet Colorado Pick Up
2004-2009 GMC Canyon Pick Up

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3164A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Power window fuse (#42 in the UBEC) opens at times. There are two possible scenarios.

Scenario #1) Fuse 42 opens when using either the drivers or passengers front window or sporadic operation of the door locks.

Scenario #2) When closing all windows at the same time, fuse 42 may open.

Recommendation/Instructions:

There are two possible solutions for this concern:

#1) Inspect the harness in each door for a chafe at the door check link. Repair any harness and reroute to prevent future contact or chafe. #2) This is a design characteristic. No repairs should be attempted. To reduce the likelihood of this situation from occurring, do not continue to operate all the windows completely open/closed at the same time and running the motor against the stops. This situation will produce the maximum current draw and can increase the chances for the fuse to open.

Note: Fuse 42 in the UBEC will be the fuse that may open if the windows are operated in this manor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

John,

When I previously had this problem, it occurred once when I changed my battery. And then again when I removed the battery terminal to clean away some corrosion. Both times my window was in the up position. Everything returned to normal after 2 -3 weeks, for no apparent reason.

This time, I had simply been driving with my window half down. One window only. I was not operating more than the one window. Normally, when the shifter is placed in the "park" position, the doors unlock automatically. This time the doors did not unlock, as when the problem occurred in the past. I was not using the door locks in a sporadic manner what-so-ever. Are you suggesting that I replace fuse 42? And that it could be defective in some way?

I am bringing it in to my mechanic in the a.m. He did not know what the answer to the problem could be and said he will have to do some trouble shooting. His time trouble shooting is time on the clock and money out of my pocket. Any advice would be appreciated and worth the $18 if it can save some time.

Thanks again

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Test the voltage at the # XXXXX fuse.There has been a # XXXXX cases where there is no voltage at this point.

If the voltage is good ,it is likely to be a computer fault.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you,

I will let you know if your diagnosis is accurate.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

You bet . You have a good evening.

John, GMC Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was the master switch.

$220 plus labor

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Glad to hear it is repaired .I hope you have a good day.