Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier, Technician
Experience:  Extensive experience servicing 120 plus unit fleet of Ford , GMC & Chevy 4X4's

How do you change the heater core in a 91 suburban

Customer Question

how do you change the heater core in a 91 suburban
Category: GM
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 6 years ago.
Hello the complete heater box assembly must be removed from beneath the dash board and disassembled out of the vehicle to perform the removal and replacement of the heater core . If you have air conditioning that means discharging the A/C system prior to beginning the removal of the A/C / heater box assembly .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how do you get the assembly out do you have to remove the parts from the inside the engine compartment or just inside cab

The fasteners ( nuts and screws are unbolted mostly from the engine compartment firewall and there is 1 " hidden " nut attached at the top from the inside that you access through the glove box opening using a 12 to 18 inch extension and a 10 mm. socket . The heater box comes off the firewall from inside below the dash . It is necessary to undo the lower mount of the dash and the screws at the windshield as well you must remove the heater control head .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
why do you have to discharge ac
The A/C lines run to the evaporator which is inside the A/C - heater box .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have replaced the heater core without discharging a/c it doesnt have anything to do with heater core I found this out on my own by trial I was looking for some real help you were going to cost me more by discharging a/c I really hope you are not going to charge me for your answere since i ended up doing it on my own anyway

If you were able to " cheat " the heater core out without any damage then good for you . You are not obligated to accept .