GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette: Windows and door locks stopped working

Windows and door locks stopped working - How can this be fixed?

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette that has issues with the window buttons and lock buttons. The back windows are supposed to flare out when the button is pushed but they don't. The driver and passenger front windows stopped working with the buttons but the passenger one quit first but the window could still be operated from the driver side. Then the driver side stopped working for both windows. Also the lock buttons stopped working for the lock function but can still be unlocked with the buttons. Then those buttons do not function anymore. I tried to change the window buttons on the driver side but got no response from either window.

I have asked this question in the Car category and I think it should be here for the type of vehicle.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. First off, the passengers door switch is likely the issue for the passengers side not working from that door. Those are common for failing. As for the rest, I think that you either have a power issue to the drivers door switch or the switch itself is the issue. Do you have a test light and are willing to do some testing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot at this time because i am at work. I have done other test with another expert and here is what is found;

Drivers window brown wire no voltage and continuity (tone) to chassis ground.

Drivers side yellow wire 14 volts.

Passenger side brown wire 14 volts.

Passenger side yellow wire 14 volts.

Gorund wire between passenger front and slider door is clean with no breaks or corrosion.

I changed the switch on drivers side but still not working.

Passenger side goes down/up very slow and needs assistance to finish.

Both sides have the lock/unlock switches not working on the door panels, but work from remote.

What are you using for a test tool, a power probe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
light probe and fluke multimeter.

OK, at the drivers switch, use a section of wire to jump the light blue to ground and the white to ground. THis is looking like a ground issue as the door switch only supplies a ground for the locks.

The ground is in the the B pillar. This is the pillar between the drivers and sliding door. #5 is the one.

Object Number: 447237  Size: LF

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK what would I be looking for after putting jumpers in place?
Just jump one at a time. THat should make it lock and unlock. IF so, then bare a section of the black wire, the thick one and jump it to ground. See what happens when you try to use the controls.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok this is for the locks not the window switch, right?

Issues with both.

It is for both. We are just chasing one at a time because if you chace both at once, we could loose sight of the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok just trying to get it straight with which harness to jump the colors that you have stated.

I can do this later today if that wortks or don't work what would be the next step for either one.

Given the issues, especially with the locks, this is likely the issue because the locks work on ground only for the switch. YOu can reply after the testing and I will respond as soon as I am able, which is usually very quickly. You can also reply even after you accept. It does not close the post.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have placed a jumper wire between ground and white - nothing happened and the same for ground to light blue.
I tried to connect ground to the thick black wire and nothing happened when trying the buttons
what next
Check the wiring in the boot that runs from the door to the body.
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken the entire inside of the driver door off.
All wires are intact and no corrosion.

Also there are other electrical problems with the van that might have something to do with this.
Like rough idle, rear windows don't work anymore, passenger slide door buzzer goes off when the overhead switch is on even when door is closed, lights pulse in vehicle when idling, and there is no indicator lights to show anything is wrong.

We do get water in the overhead switches when it rains heavy. I have checked and this seems common to this vehicle.

I am wondering if this is an issue with the 'brain' of the vehicle?

IS there water or signs of corrosion in the fuse block underhood?

This could be the Body Control Module.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None
OK, let chew on this while I replace a steering rack and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I still have the door apart in case there is anything that needs done in there.

Ok, I will be back in a couple of hours.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no corrosion or water damage in the overhead concole buttons either.

OK Mike, here is where I am thinking. Ground is not the issue, but given the other issues, I am starting to suspect a power issue such as RAP relay and BCM in the right dash.

Object Number: 675402  Size: FS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so what do i do from here
Something just caught my eye, you said drivers side brown, no power. Are you sure? If so, jump the yellow to the brown and see what happens using a fused jumper wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing Happened when connecting the fused jumper
Was that with the key on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
off then on nothing either way
Ok, that brown must have power with the key on. WE need to start there. STart tracing the splice to the window. THis also feeds the passengers door, and you said you have power there. The splice is under the right front door sill approximately 2 cm (1 in) from the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module breakout
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not quite sure the location that you mentioned
Also does this splice have to do with the locks to?
WE need to settle on one system and fix that. IT is likely they are connected. This is under the trim at the passengers door sill.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I found a broken wire and corrosion before the splice on the passenger side.
It is a white maybe yellowish wire 18 ga splice with the same and a 22 guage same color.
Fix that and inspect the rest of the area. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In between the front part of the door and the main splice there was 4 separate splices that were 2 wires in and 1 wire out. GMC made these splices with a solder splice and nothing more than black electrical tape to seal from wetness or corrosion. (Odd since it is directly under the carpet by the door.)
I had to make wire splices with short pieces of wire and everything is working now. The windows, locks and rear windows.
This is good, and yes, GM should have done those better.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I appreciate your time spent on this.