Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier, Technician
Experience:  Extensive experience servicing 120 plus unit fleet of Ford , GMC & Chevy 4X4's
13857296

cant bleed abs brakes on my 3500 GMC box truck

can't bleed abs brakes on my 3500 GMC box truck
Category: GM
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 4 years ago.
Hello ! To start with what repair have you been doing prior to starting to bleed ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My truck originally came from Boston . My rear brake line rusted and failed the lines to my front calipers were in very bad shape so I replaced all the lines and the master cylinder. Hoping to avoid future problems since I was replacing the one (rear) anyways So I replaced the lines from the reservoir to the ABS and the lines from the ABS to the wheels.
Okay . There is no reason at all for you not to be able to start off by performing a Gravity bleed . Remove the wheels place drain pans to catch the fluid open all the bleeder screws remove the master cylinder cap fill the reservoir and leave the lid " OFF " . Then go have dinner or go to the refrigerator , grab a beverage and a comfortable chair and go back and watch it drip .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I borrowed a vachumn pumpand tried this . I loosened the bleeder valve LFand started to get brake fluid but couldn't get constant vachumn. I also read start LF,RF,LR,RR . to bleed lines.and also should I have the eng9ne running or engine off.

You should start with a gravity bleed with the engine off . Because you have replaced the rear brake line you could start at the right rear and perform a conventional manual " pump " bleed . A good method if you like is to get a length of plastic tubing that will fit snuggly on the bleeder screw and insert it into a bottle with brake fluid in the bottom making sure the hose is submersed in fluid - open the bleeder screw . Fill the master cylinder and begin pumping ( this could take some time - be patient ) remember to keep the master cylinder topped up . Pump until there are no more bubbles . Repeat this procedure for the remaining 3 wheels .

Kevin Bourcier, Technician
Experience: Extensive experience servicing 120 plus unit fleet of Ford , GMC & Chevy 4X4's