George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+years ASE Master W/L1 Drivability

drivers side power window wont go all the way up. It will

Customer Question

drivers side power window won't go all the way up. It will go down, but when you try to get power window to close, it slows down and stops about two inches from the top. Any suggestions on how to close?
Snow is coming this afternoon, if I could just get it closed I would bring it in to dealer to have it fixed properly later.
Category: GM
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This sounds like the window is binding in the track or the regulator cable is binding and the regulator needs replacement.

Inspect the tracks and see if all the weather stripping is in place then let me know if you are going to try to change the regulator yourself and I will post the procedure.

Let me know what you need me to do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Weather strip/rubber looks fine on both sides of window, do I have to take door panel off to continue?

Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the door panel will have to come off. You may be able to get a regulator module at your local autoparts store as some are stocked if you want to try to change it out. I would check before you take the door apart as you are likely to find a cable guide that has broken and the cable cannot pull the window closed.

You are trying to pull the window up while someone else works the switch for you?

If that will not work here is the procedure to remove the panel and the window module. Its in .pdf form so click the links provided below. Ckeck your glove compartment for the RPO code YE9 among the list of codes, let me know if it is there

Door panel

Let me know whatr I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry the schematic was for 2500 gmc with 6.0 v8,

my yukon xl is a 1/2 ton 1500 model with a 4.8 litre

Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

The door panel is the same if you have the YE9 code. That is why I asked you to confirm that you have this code in the glove compartment label