George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+years ASE Master W/L1 Drivability
13574682

1999 GMC Suburban: K1500..I have a wiring problem with my headlights

Hi, My vehicle is a 1999 GMC Suburban K1500 4WD. I have a wiring problem with my headlights. I have the dash apart and I found a broXXXXX XXXXXght blue wire on the turn signal switch. The chematic says this is the parking brake warning switch. Currently, my headlights and high beams do not work. Could this open wire be the problem. I don't see how but......and how do you take off the plugs in the back of this switch so I can repair it. Do you have any other ideas on hos to test the headlamp wiring circuit. I have 12V at the yellow wire when I turn the headlights on. I just don't know if it's making it all the way to the dimmer switch. I'm close to fixing this just need a little help. Oh yeah, The lite blue wire has evidence of burning marks and it just happens to be next to the tan wire which is for the headlamps..

Thanks,
Mark
Category: GM
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I iwll help you with your question,

Do you have DRLs on this truck?

If you do the light blue is the headlamp signal to the headlamp control modul and you will have to repair the break.

Here is the switch/control circuit

graphic

If you follow your yelow wire at "C" you will see that it goes to the DRL relay and that is why you see power there but do not have headlamps. The relay needs to switch to the other position at the command of the light blue wire from the control module.

graphic

Is the light blue wire broken right at the switch connector?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, are DRL's the same as parking lamps? If so, yes I have them and they work. Where is the DRL relay? The wire is broken at the back of the plug for the headlamp dimmer. How do you take off this plug so I can fix it. Do I need to take off the steering wheel etc...or is that just if I need to replace the entire switch?

THx,

Mark

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

No the DRLs come on when the vehicle is in drive during the day with the park brake off,

There are several configurations of this so I have to know exactly what you have,

You can have the base package without DRLs and it may have Quad or dual headlights. Let me know whaich of these fit your truck.

You can have DRLs that come on during the day with the headlight turned off. They activate when the park brake is off and the transmission is in drive.

You can have the mac daddy package that has DRLs and automatic lights that turn on when it gets dark.

Let me know as there are four different wiring diagrams and this is hard enough.

The parking/marker/running/tail lights are seperate from the headlamps.

The headlamp switch is on the instrument panel so you are asking about the dimmer switch on the multifunction switch on the steering column and I read that this is where the broken blue wire is?

Let me know the answer to ALL these questions please

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not even sure if the plugs come out of the multifunction swicth but it looks like they should. I ahve composite headlights. I will attach a copy of this vehicles window sticker. It doesn't say anything about daytime running lights. Does this help?

MarkSticker

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, the parking lamps are separate from the headlights.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

No it really dosent help, I would need the RPO sticker in the glove compartment to tell that way.

Anyway, the blue wire is burnt/broken at the multifunction switch?

You should replace the switch as it is not repairable at the harness to switch connection and you don't know how much damage is done inside the switch

The column has to come apart to replace the switch and I need to know tilt or fixed column?

graphic

graphic

Does the headlight switch (#7) have a small LED and a position where you can select auto?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok,, lite blue wire is definitely the problem. I connected a jumper to the plug and everything works fine. I just need to know how to take out the plug. It doesn't look easy. Do I need to remove the switch?

Mark

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

As shown in the diagram the entire switch needs to be replaced. Do you have a tilt or fixed column?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tilt wheel
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If you have never done this I suggest that you have it done but here are the directions, look them over and let me know what questions you may have

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

• Tools Required
  • J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

1. Make sure the lever is in the center or the OFF position.
  2. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Air Bags and Seat Belts. Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
  3. Remove the inflator module.
  4. Remove the horn pad assembly.
  5. Remove the horn switch.
  6. Remove the tilt lever.
  7. Remove the steering wheel nut.
  8. Use the J 1859-A in order to remove the steering wheel.
  9. Remove the knee bolster.
  10. Loosen the steering column bracket nuts.
  11. Remove the two TORX head screws from the lower column cover.
  12. Tilt the cover down and slide the cover back in order to disengage the locking tabs. Lower the column cover.
  13. Remove the two TORX head screws from the upper column cover.
  14. Remove the steering column lock set.
  15. Remove the upper column cover.
  16. Remove the two wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
  17. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer from the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) .
  18. Disconnect the steering column bulkhead connector from the vehicle wire harness.
  19. Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead connector.
  20. Remove the two TORX head screws from the switch.
  21. Remove the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.

1.1.Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact. Move the multifunction switch into the position.
1.2.Make sure the electrical contact rests on the canceling cam assembly.

1. Install the two TORX head screws on the switch.
    • Tighten the screws to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.).

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Connect the gray and the black connectors of the switch to the column bulkhead connector.
  2. Install the steering column bulkhead connector to the vehicle wire harness.
  3. Install the connector and the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer to the BTSI.
  4. Install the two wire straps on the steering column wire harness.
  5. Install the upper column cover.
  6. Install the steering column bracket nuts.
    • Tighten the nuts to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the knee bolster.
  2. Install the steering column cylinder lock set.
  3. Install the two TORX head screws to the upper column cover.
    • Tighten the screws to 1.4 Nm (12 inch lbs.).
  1. Install the lower column cover.
  2. Install the two TORX head screws to the lower column cover.
  2. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft.
  3. Install the steering wheel nut.
    • Tighten the steering wheel nut to 40 Nm (29 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the horn pad assembly.
  2. Install the horn contract.
  3. Install the inflator module.
  4. Install the tilt lever.
  5. Enable the SIR system.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 15+years ASE Master W/L1 Drivability