car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year master tech and shop owner

2005 Yukon: stopped working..under hood..horn was intermittent

My 2005 Yukon horn just stopped working, Ichecked fuse and relay under hood, all is good. The horn was intermittent for a few weeks before it went out completely.

Thank You,

Thomas Jorgensen
Category: GM
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
do you have a test light or volt meter we could do some tests
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I have a volt meter
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
ok let me pull the diagram
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
need to unplug the horn on wire should have voltage if it does hook on led of the meter to each wire then push the horn button and see if it shows voltage if it does then the horn is bad if it doesn't then let me know what results you have
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 year master tech and shop owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the horn after testing what you said I put 12 volts at the fuse and horn worked fine.
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
did you have voltage at the horn wire with the meter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no,there is no voltage there and there is no voltage at the fuse when i put voltage at the fuse the horn worked so I think it is from the stearing wheel end
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
let me look at the circuit again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thought i lost connection
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
pull the horn relay 2 terminals on that box where the relay plugs in check those and let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am cunfused what would you like me to check on the wires, there are 4 wires on the relay which ones do you want me to check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
pin 88 and 87 on the relay has 12 volts if I put 12 volts to the side of the relay the horn works. It appears that the signal that is supposed to energize the relay is not coming from the stearing wheel or were ever it comes from.
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.

you are correct this has confirmed that it is the signal that comes from the column it is most likely the clockspring this is the area that turns when the wheel turns over time they break

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do i do also the Yukon is not that old I have had cars way older then this never break?
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
are you comfortable removing the airbag to do some more diagnostics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have never done that before but I do work on F16 and F22 fighter jets so I guess i can handle that. I did have the steering wheel replaced about 1 1/2 years ago at the dealer maybe they did something wrong
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
it is a good possibility they may have pinched a wire i will get you the procedure for removing the bag and what to do from
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.

SIR Disabling and Enabling

SIR component location affects how a vehicle should be serviced. There are parts of the SIR system installed in various locations around a vehicle. To find the location of the SIR components, refer to SIR Identification Views .

There are several reasons for disabling the SIR system, such as repairs to the SIR system or servicing a component near or attached to an SIR component. There are several ways to disable the SIR system depending on what type of service is being performed. The following information covers the proper procedures for disabling/enabling the SIR system.

Condition

Action

If the vehicle was involved in an accident with an air bag deployment.

Disconnect the negative battery cable(s) *. Refer to Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision .

When performing SIR diagnostics.

Follow the appropriate SIR service manual diagnostic procedure(s) *

When removing or replacing an SIR component or a component attached to an SIR component.

Disconnect the negative battery cable(s) *

If the vehicle is suspected of having shorted electrical wires.

When performing electrical diagnosis on components other than the SIR system.

Remove the SIR/Airbag fuse(s) when indicated by the diagnostic procedure to disable the SIR system

* DTCs will be lost when the negative battery cable is disconnected.

SIR Service Precautions

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components. Serious injury can occur. Failure to observe the correct procedure could also result in unnecessary SIR system repairs.

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) maintains a reserved energy supply. The reserved energy supply provides deployment power for the air bags if the SDM loses battery power during a collision. Deployment power is available for as much as 1 minute after disconnecting the vehicle power. Waiting 1 minute before working on the system after disabling the SIR system prevents deployment of the air bags from the reserved energy supply.

General Service Instructions

The following are general service instructions which must be followed in order to properly repair the vehicle and return it to its original integrity:

Do not expose inflator modules to temperatures above 65°C (150°F).
Verify the correct replacement part number. Do not substitute a component from a different vehicle.
Use only original GM replacement parts available from your authorized GM dealer. Do not use salvaged parts for repairs to the SIR system.

Discard any of the following components if it has been dropped from a height of 91 cm (3 ft) or greater:

Inflatable restraint SDM
Any Inflatable restraint air bag module
Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil
Any Inflatable restraint sensor
Inflatable restraint seat belt pretensioners
Inflatable restraint passenger presence system (PPS) module or sensor

Disabling Procedure - Air Bag Fuse

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Place the ignition in the OFF position.

Important: The SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure there is no unwanted SIR deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate a SIR system malfunction.

3. Locate and remove the fuse(s) supplying power to the SDM. Refer to SIR Schematics or Electrical Center Identification Views .
  4. Wait 1 minute before working on the system.

Enabling Procedure - Air Bag Fuse

1. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
  2. Install the fuse(s) supplying power to the SDM. Refer to SIR Schematics or Electrical Center Identification Views .
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The AIR BAG indicator will flash then turn OFF.
  4. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle if the AIR BAG warning indicator does not operate as described. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle .

Disabling Procedure - Negative Battery Cable

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
  4. Wait 1 minute before working on system.

Enabling Procedure - Negative Battery Cable

2. Connect the negative battery cable to the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Inflator Module Handling and Storage Caution in the Preface section.

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

1. Disable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
    Object Number: 760459  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  2. Using a blunt-ended tool, push the leaf spring fasteners (2) inward through the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the steering wheel shroud.
    Object Number: 245799  Size: SH
  3. Lift and partially remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical connectors.
  4. Disconnect the connector-position assurance (CPA) retainers from the electrical connectors.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.

Important: Do not attempt to repair the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. The inflatable restraint steering wheel module is replaced only as an assembly.

6. Remove the inflatable restraint module from the steering wheel.
  7. Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling and Scrapping .

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 245799  Size: SH
  1. Position the inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  3. Connect the CPA retainers into the electrical connectors. Seat and lock the connections.
    Object Number: 760459  Size: SH
  4. Position the alignment posts of the inflatable restraint module to the holes that are located on the steering wheel housing.
  5. Push the inflatable restraint module into the steering wheel in order to engage and in order to latch the 2 leaf spring fasteners (1).
  6. After installation, pull the sides of the inflatable restraint module in order to ensure that both leaf spring fasteners are engaged.
  7. Enable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: FS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will take a look at this and see what I can do it is late know I will go after this tomorrow and let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
you can see the horn wire runs thru the turn signal switch it needs to be grounded for the horn to go off so if you ground this wire the horn should work you can ground it before the the turnsignal switch and see what happens
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to go on a trip to India for work so I can't finish working on this I will go ahead and Accept the work you have done for me and when I get back in March I will continue this conversation Thanks for your help. One thing though can you tell me how to print this out so I can take the paper out to my Yukon the words are ok but the diagrams are very small.

Thanks,

Mike Jorgensen