GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1998 GMC: fuel filter (about a year..fuel pump..engaging..engine turns

My 1998 GMC Sierra 5.7 K1500 is not starting, I have replaced the fuel filter (about a year ago). The fuel pump sounds like it is engaging. The engine turns over but does not start. If I pump the gas it will sputter but not fire up, battery is dead now. This seems to happen only when it sits in the cold over night or for a few nights. I live in Phoenix so its not that cold just chilly. It never takes place when its warm...
Welcome. This is likely a bad fuel pump. Even though you can hear it running, it may not produce enough pressure. IT needs 60-66 psi to start. Try to put a small amount of fuel into the throttle body and see if the truck runs on that. If so, then you do need a fuel pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it common that fuel pumps would cause problems only when its cold?

Fuel pumps cause most every issue on these, and they are notorious for failing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put fuel into the throttle body and it still wont start.
OK, that is one down. The next thing to check is the cap and rotor. THey are the next most common items to fail and cause this. Replace them if you have ANY doubts about them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean the fuel tank cap? or distributor cap?
Distributor cap and rotor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Replaced the cap and rotor and threw a set of new wires on since I was in there. It fired right up after a jump. I hope thats it thanks for the help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So my truck is at it again, about a year ago you helped me out with this problem, its hasnt had any problems till this month. The morning after a good monsoon(rain storm) it started acting up again. Now it hard starts almost every time. I turn the key, its turns over 2-6 times then starts. Battery is new, alternator is charging, could my cap/rotor have gone out already? I also had a flutter after starting it up and driving, truck rpm stays really low, acts like its going to die. step on the gas and after a while its okay?? Still hard starting though??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Going to send this to you as a new question as well, get ya paid...
Ok, Specify for GMTECH CAM ONLY in the first line.