Hank B
Hank B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 plus years ASE certified. ASE Certified Master Tech. in Auto/Lt. Truck & also Med/Heavy Truck
24930646

How do you turn off the passenger airbag on a 2000 gmc Jimmy?

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Hi & welcome. Here's some info for you to look at.

INFLATABLE RESTRAINT IP MODULE SWITCH (PICKUP AND EXTENDED CAB ONLY)
The inflatable restraint IP module switch is a manual two-position key switch located in the instrument panel, to the right of the steering wheel. This switch gives the vehicle operator the ability to enable or disable the inflatable restraint IP module (passenger front air bag) deployment should the vehicle be involved in a severe frontal collision. The vehicle operator may choose to disable the inflatable restraint IP module if there is no occupant in front seat, or if there is a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front seat.

The manual key-switch operates in two positions. When the key is vertical, the switch is in the OFF position and the inflatable restraint IP module is in the suppressed (disabled) state. In the suppressed state, the inflatable restraint IP module will not deploy in the event of a severe frontal collision. When the key is horizontal, the switch is in the ON position and the inflatable restraint IP module is in the nonsuppressed (enabled) state. In the nonsuppressed state, the inflatable restraint IP module will deploy in the event of a severe frontal collision. The key-switch assembly also includes a backlit switch cover which illuminates when the headlights are ON.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My vehicle is a Jimmy, not pickup or extended cab of any type. There is no switch. I checked.
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry I didn't catch that on the info page. I looked it up again & found there is no swittch for your vehicle. There is a procedure for disabling the passenger air bag by disconnecting it but this will cause the airbag light to come on & stay on. It is not a recommended procedure for safety. It should be used for service only but I will send you the procedure.

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
  4. Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block.
  5. Remove the left sound insulator, if equipped.
  6. Remove the knee bolster.

1. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  2. Open IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.
  3. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
10. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
Hank B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 26 plus years ASE certified. ASE Certified Master Tech. in Auto/Lt. Truck & also Med/Heavy Truck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is what I was looking for. Thank you.
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
If you need reable procedures I will do it this evening. I have to leave now. Thanks.
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Here are the procedures for enabling the SIR system.
  1. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

1. Connect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
  2. Install the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) to the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
  3. Close the IP compartment door.

1. Connect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  2. Install the connector position assurance (CPA) to the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  3. Install knee bolster, if equipped.
  4. Install left sound insulator, if equipped.
  5. Install the SIR Fuse to the IP fuse block.
  6. Staying well away from both air bags, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
10.1. The AIR BAG warning lamp will flash 7 times.
10.2. The AIR BAG warning lamp will then turn OFF.
  1. Perform the SIR Diagnostic System Check if the AIR BAG warning lamp does not operate as described.

Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks.

Edited by Hank B on 1/4/2010 at 5:42 AM EST