MPMoore
MPMoore, GM WORLD CLASS/ASE MASTER W/L1 GMC
Experience:  15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP
4232346

2000 GMC: The Radio is in lock mode and I..VIN

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra. The Radio is in lock mode and I need the code and procedure to get it working again.
VIN # XXXXX
Category: GM
Expert:  MPMoore replied 4 years ago.
There is a code that I need programed into the radio. This code will give me the numbers I need to get the unlock code. Here is a proceedure you need to perform to get me the numbers I need. There should be a total of six digets.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Press and hold the radio preset buttons 2 and 3 for approximately 8 seconds until the first 3 digits of the backup code are displayed on the radio.
  3. Record the displayed code.
  4. Press and hold the AM/FM push button until the second 3 digits are displayed on the radio
  5. Record the displayed code.
When you get this code, send it to me so I can get the unlock code.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First code 862
Second code 872
Expert:  MPMoore replied 4 years ago.
0616 is the radio unlock code for your truck. Here is the unlock proceedure

Important:: If eight unsuccessful tries are made to unlock the radio, the display will return to the LOC display, but when the SET button is pressed, INOP will be displayed. This means that the radio must be left powered up for one hour with the battery and the ignition applied before any more attempts to unlock the radio can be made. Anytime INOP is displayed, three more attemps will be allowed after the 1 hour waiting period with the battery and ignition applied.

1. Ensure that the code to be used is correct.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  3. Press the MN button until 000 is diplayed.
  4. Press and hold the HR button until the last 2 digits agree with the code.
  5. Press and hold the MN button until the first 2 digits argree with the code.
  6. Press the AM/FM button when the complete code is displayed. If REP appears on the display, repeat this step.
Experience: 15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help it works great.