molurch
molurch, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

2008 yukon denali: factory installed remote starter..lit..dash board

Customer Question

I own a 2008 yukon denali with a factory installed remote starter. ocasionally it will not work. When i get in the vehicle and start it with the key it starts up and i get a lit up engine symbol in the dash board.Sometimes this may last a few days and then go back to normal operation. This seems to happen after i use the remote starter and leave it running until it shuts off on its own. When i try to restart it again with the remote is when it doesnt start and i get the lit up engine symbol. Thank you fot your help KJL.
Category: GM
Expert:  molurch replied 7 years ago.

It really sounds like a programming issue, which Dealer will need to update via Scan Tool.
There are occasions where the Remote Start will NOT work like:
1) If the Check Engine Light is On or comes on & there are Trouble Codes stored. Dealer can retireve those Trouble Codes via Scan Tool

2) If the Remote Start has been used 2 times without the Ignition Key being turned on.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1) This only happens when the remote start is used after the first time, as said. 2) The check engine light comes on, as stated. YOUR NOT TELLING ME ANYTHING I DONT ALREADY KNOW ! SUCH AS WHY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON ONLY AFTER I USE THE REMOTE AND NOT WHEN I USE THE KEY. WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE TROUBLE CODES AND WHY DOES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GO OFF ON ITS OWN AFTER A FEW DAYS. ALSO WHY DONT I GET AN E-MAIL FROM GMC WHEN I GET THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND THE DIAGONOSTIS,SUCH AS I GET WHEN I NEED TO CHANGE OIL OR MY TIRE-PRESSURES ARE LOW.

Expert:  molurch replied 7 years ago.

As stated...........
If Check Engine Light comes on & stores a Trouble Code, Remote Start will not work.
There is "no way" anyone can tell you "why" the Check Engine Light came on "until" the vehicle is Scanned via Dealer Scan Tool, as Generic Scan Tools cannot access all Modules.
The Check Engine Light can come on for "many" reasons:
Emissions
Sensors
Idle
Electronics
Ignition
etc.
Not to mention the Update for the BCM & Remote Start may fix the problem

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ARE YOU SAYING THE REMOTE-START TRIGGERED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OR JUST A COINCEDINCE.

Expert:  molurch replied 7 years ago.

Both, as the Engine is at idle & if there is a Heat, O2 Sensor, Ignition Coil, etc, problem the Check Engine Light will come on & once the Ignition is cycled or the problem clears, the Check Engine light goes off, but the Trouble Code is typically stored for retrival via Scan Tool

Your question states that it may last for days, which indicatea a fault being recognized by the computer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YOU STATE THAT ONCE THE IGNITION IS CYCLED OR THE PROBLEM CLEARS , THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES OFF. THIS FAULT BEING RECOGNIZED BY THE COMPUTER MAY BE TEMPORARY OR AN ONGOING PROBLEM ? DO YOU SUGGEST I BRING IT IN FOR SRRVICE OR WAIT TO SEE IF IT CLEARS OWN ITS OWN?
Expert:  molurch replied 7 years ago.

The problem clears for the Remote Start to be used, not the actual problem of the Check Engine Light being triggered by a Fault.
Yes.........Dealer Scan of modules & Computer is needed to pin point the problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS
Expert:  molurch replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome..........
Thank You
Thanks for using J/A