Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

how do I replace the hood release cable on a 1999 gmc jimmy?

Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 years ago.

Removal Procedure

1. Open and support the hood.

2. Object Number: 1558  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  3. Disconnect the hood latch cable from the primary latch assembly.
  4. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to release the clip and lift the cable assembly from the primary latch. In order to aid in installation, tie a mechanic's wire to the end of the cable.

Object Number: 1563  Size: SH
  5. Remove the clips that retain the hood release cable.
  6. Pry open the clips with a flat-bladed tool.

Object Number: 302984  Size: SH
  7. Remove the hood release cable grommet.
  8. Remove the body hinge trim panel. Refer to Body Hinge Pillar Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side in Interior Trim.
  9. Remove the hood release cable and the lever bolts from the cowl side panel.
  10. Remove the hood latch cable assembly from the vehicle.
  11. Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 302984  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the hood latch assembly to the vehicle.
  2. Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.

3. Install the hood release cable and the lever bolts to the cowl side panel.
  4.  

Tighten
    Tighten the hood release cable and the lever bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Object Number: 1563  Size: SH
  5. Install the hood release cable to the retaining clips.

6. Object Number: 302984  Size: SH
  7. Install the hood release cable grommet.
  8. Install the body hinge pillar trim panel. Refer to Body Hinge Pillar Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side in Interior Trim.

9. Object Number: 1558  Size: SH
  10. Install the hood latch cable to the latch.
  11. Close the hood.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to remove anything such as the cruise control module or the parking brake assembly?
Nope, it's a fairly simple matter of just guiding the cable out of and into the right locations, you shouldn't need to take very many things out of the way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The " Body Hinge Pillar Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side" mentioned in your answer doesn't allow me access, how do I look at this?
That links to a secure site. Let me paste that here for you.

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 303455  Size: SH
  1. Remove the left front door sill trim plate. Refer to Door Sill Plate Replacement .
  2. Remove the body hinge pillar trim panel from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 303455  Size: SH
  1. Install the body hinge pillar trim panel to the vehicle.
  2. Install the left front door sill trim plate. Refer to Door Sill Plate Replacement .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does the sill trim plate just pull out? Or do I need to release any clips? I can't tell from the post

Yes, it just pulls off, it has spring clips. Same for the sill plate.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have the trim plate off. I also had to pop off the corner of the grill to unclip one of the cable retaining clips. Everything seems ready to follow the instructions above.

But basically the cable seems to be routed behind the parking brake assembly with only about 1/4 inch clearance to route the cable through. This won't work since I need to pull the ferrell, spring, and a grommet through as well. I don't think I could even pull the existing cable out without cutting off the ferrell and removing the spring. Can you please verify the process above.

If I have to remove the parking brake assembly, what are the risks?

It has been a few years since I did one, and I don't recall needing to remove the park brake assy. However, in the event that you do need to move it, there are three 13mm nuts that hold that park brake assy onto the truck, you don't need to detach the cables from it or anything like that. You can just take the nuts off and the park brake assy will come loose and give you whatever additional room you need. There is no risk of damage or funny sproingy noises.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jerry, Thanks for all your help. To get the job done I needed to do quite a bit more than you had originally instructed.

First, the parking brake did need to come off. The ferrell, spring, mounting grommet, and firewall grommet all had to get pushed up being the brake assembly. To get the brake assembly off I had to remove two screws and one nut (the nut was on the top of the assembly). To get to the top nut I had to remove a panel that was under the steering wheel.

Next I had to remove the cruise control module. The cable exits the firewall under this module, there would have been no way to either remove the old firewall grommet or seat the new one properly without removing the cruise module.

To remove the retaining clips (there were three of them) I had to pop off the top corner of the grille as well as unbolt the windshield washer reservoir. I could not close the one that was under the reservoir.

Other than that, everything went smoothly.