Shane
Shane, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified with L1, two years GM dealership experience
26328330

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR ON A 2003 GMC 2500 hd WITH A 6.0 GAS ENGINE ?

Customer Question

WHERE IS THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR ON A 2003 GMC 2500HD WITH A 6.0 GAS ENGINE?
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

The TPS is mounted to the side of the throttle body.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THERE IS NOTHING IN THAT LOCATION. COULD THERE BE ANOTHER LOCATION??
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
It's got to be there, the throttle position sensor is an intrigal part of the throttle body. Remove the air cleaner duct hose from the throttle body. It should be on the driver's side near the opening to the throttle body. The butterfly plate on the inside of the throttle body is connected to the TPS on the driver's side. Follow the middle line of that plate to the right, and you'll bump into it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is nothing mounted there. There is a plug on the passenger side cover, but nothing on the drivers side.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm... odd. Tell you what. Seeing as this is the only location I show, I will opt-out and forward your question to another Tech that may be able to better assist you. Sorry for the inconvenience. Sit tight one sec, someone will be right with you...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Shane replied 4 years ago.

Hello, do you have a black box attatched to your throttle body?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is the box on the passenger side that has a 3 wire connection and inside are the gear sets that drive the throttle.
Expert:  Shane replied 4 years ago.

Ok so sounds like you have an electronic throttle body(no cables attached)? Are you setting codes(check engine light)? what codes?

Edited by Shane on 12/22/2009 at 6:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it setting codes:

P1516

P2135

P0220

P0120

Expert:  Shane replied 4 years ago.
Ok i've found a few service bulliten on these codes setting? Do you have any drivability issues(loss of power, stalling, surging)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just once it gave me a dashboard message that lost power and it hardly ran. That reset sfter starting and stopping engine twice. Otherwise, the indicator comes on after driving a long distance, stopping for a few minutes such as a restarea stop, then light comes on and sets fault. Truck doesn't seem to run poorly except the one time. I actually thought maybe we were dealing with a cam or crank sensor originally. This all started after having to change the knock sensors of which one was definitly failed and the truck ran poorly prior to the changeout.
Expert:  Shane replied 4 years ago.

Ok sorry asking so many questions, I just don't want to lead you in the wrong direction.

There are actually 2 throttle position sensors built integral(not servicable) to the throttle body, this mean the only way to replace the sensors is to replace the throttle body. However I have been able to clean the throttle body and that has fixed a couple. What happens on an older or higher milage vehicle the throttle body gets coked(carboned up) and it gets very sticky when warm, to sticky for the throttle actuator to open the throttle plate. So my advice would be to clean the throttle body. Cleaning it will repair this issue about 80%, 20% of the time you need to replace the throttle body.

Shane

Shane, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master Certified with L1, two years GM dealership experience