Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette: of wiper assembly linkage..cowl

Customer Question

How do I remove the alternator from a 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The alternator is free; but I can not pull it out because of wiper assembly linkage and overhanging cowl is in the way.
Thanks,
Kevin
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
  • Remove the power steering pipes from the power steering pipe retainer.
  • Remove the fuel pressure test port (schrader valve) cap from the fuel injector rail. IMPORTANT: Do not disconnect the power steering pipes from the power steering pump.
  • Remove the power steering pump and reposition the power steering pump in front of the timing chain cover in order to provide access for the generator.
  • Remove the generator from the vehicle.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It appears that the power steering pump can be removed by unbolting using the holes in the pulley that will provide access to the bolts, how many bolts?

Also, where is the power steering pipe retainer?

Remove the shrader valve cap, what does this do?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It appears that the power steering pump can be removed by unbolting using the holes in the power steering pump pulley that will provide access to the bolts, how many bolts?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

I have no idea why they say to remove the shrader cap, i've never done it. I just wanted to provide you with the "correct" procedure.

The power steering pipe retainer is the plastic clip that holds the lines down, this is just so you can have a little "give" with the lines to kick them aside.

Correct, use the holes in the pulley to gain access to the bolts. See diagram for bolt locations.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Drivefast1971,

I have removed the 3 bolts that hold the PS pump; however, I can only move the PS pump in the verticle direction about 1 inch then interference. This is preventing me from moving the PS pump out of the way of the alternator. What is preventing the PS pump from moving freely? Its is not the attached lines that are restricting the removal of the PS Pump.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
    Hmmm... usually it pops right off after the 3 bolts. Are you sure the metal inlet line isn't holding it? There's gotta be something... Even the "official" directions are pretty straight forward- remove bolts, remove pump.