Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do I remove the power steering pump from a 95 GMC Safari

How do I remove the power steering pump from a 95 GMC Safari Van? Is the nut for the pully right or left hand thread?
Category: GM
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The pulley is pressed on and requires a special power steering pump pulley removal tool to get the pulley off the pump shaft:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Pump pulley removal and installation-1993-96 vehicles

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Exploded view of the power steering pump mounting-late-model 4.3L engines (1993-96 shown)

The following procedure requires the use of the GM Puller tool No. J-29785-A (1985-92), Puller J-25034-B (1993-96) or equivalent, and the GM Pulley Installer tool No. J-25033-B or equivalent.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
  2. For 1996 vehicles, remove the air cleaner assembly for access.
  3. For 1993-96 vehicles, remove the hood latch and the upper fan shroud.
  4. Release tension and remove the drive belt. For details, please refer to of this information.
  5. Remove the power steering pump pulley using a suitable puller tool.
  6. Remove the power steering pump retaining bolts, then reposition the pump as necessary for access to the hoses.
  7. Position a fluid catch pan under the power steering pump.
  8. Remove the hoses from the power steering pump and drain the excess fluid into the catch pan.

WARNING Be sure to cap all openings in the pump hydraulic system to prevent excessive fluid spillage and the possibility of system contamination.

1. Remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Position the pump to the vehicle, then uncap and connect the pump hoses.
  2. Install the steering pump to the retaining bracket, then secure using the retaining bolts. Tighten the power steering pump-to-bracket bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). For 1996 vehicles, tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).

On early-model vehicles where the drive belt is tensioned by pivoting the power steering pump assembly, do NOT fully tighten the mounting bolts at this time, since you will just have to loosen them again for belt installation and adjustment.

1. Install the pump pulley using the GM Pulley Installer tool No. J-25033-B or equivalent. Press the drive pulley onto the power steering pump.
  2. Hand-tighten the pivot bolt, the adjusting bolt and the washer.
  3. Install the drive belt. On early-model vehicles so equipped, properly adjust the belt tension. For details on belt installation and tension adjustment, please refer to of this information.
  4. For 1993-96 vehicles install the upper fan shroud and the hood latch assembly.
  5. For 1996 vehicles, install the air cleaner assembly.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Refill the power steering reservoir and bleed the power steering system.
  8. Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
  9. Road test the vehicle, then check and top-off the power steering fluid.

The tool is available from any auto parts store. Autozone and Discount Auto Parts both rent the tool under their tool rental program:

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you show me a picture of the tool?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

here you go:

Performance Tool GM Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover/Installer, Model# XXXXX | Buy now for just $24.99!

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Did you have any further questions on the power steering pump removal? If so, please dont hesitate to ask, otherwise, please click the accept button to pay for services rendered

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did accept the answer, and my Paypal account shows Status: Completed.