George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+years ASE Master W/L1 Drivability

Envoy: My battery 2004..gauge..I think it is the alternator

My battery light was on in my 2004 6Cylinder Envoy the battery gauge was at about 12 volts while the vehicle was running and across the screen where my milage normally is, read battery not charging. I think it is the alternator but I'm not sure. Any Idea what it is?
Category: GM
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It very likely is the alternator but some testing is in order before replacing it. If you have a voltmeter you can test for battery voltage with the engine off/key on at the connections on the back of the alternator. Let me know where you find battery voltage.

If you do not have a voltmeter you can stop by an autoparts store and they will inspect your charging system with their equipment, the battery will continue to run the engine for a short time but will fail eventually

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you