FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5L V6. Overheating.

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5L V6. Overheating. Gets warm, acceleration cools it down.
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer does the vehicle only warm up if it is sitting still?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nope. Warms up while sitting still and while driving. But if I really crowd it, it cools down quick.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I would start by replacing the cap. If the cap is not holding pressure then this will happen. If the cap is fine then you either have a clog in the radiator or a bad water pump. One other issue with this engine is a bad intake manifold gasket, but you would typically lose coolant becuase of this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Replaced radiator cap. If I have the heat on, it gets hotter faster. Does that tell you anything?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
I would check the upper and lower radiator hoses. If one of them is much hotter than the other then you may have a clogged radiator. THe heater issue does not make a difference. You need to remove the radiator bleed valve when filling the system to make sure that the air is out.

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no bleed valve on the 3.5.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
THere should be a bleeder screw on the radiator unless the radiator.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok. So, the bleeder has to be through the radiator cap. It's been replaced, still happening. Flushed radiator, it's free and clear, still happening. Changed water pump, still happening.

Like I said, you're driving along. Comes up to operating temperature. Everything's fine... then, all of a sudden it starts to creep up... if you turn on the heat, it happens faster. If you push the accelerator, it cools it down???

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Will the coolant get hot enough to boil from the overflow tank?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When it gets hot, if you open the reservoir tank it will blast it out at you.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
The only other thing that would cause the temp to creap up like this all of a sudden is a small leak in the head gasket allowing combustion pressure to enter the cooling system. I
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bingo.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Was it a head gasket problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yep. When we checked the gaskets, you could hardly notice a tiny little spot where it had been having a problem, and it wasn't like anything was washed clean. It was that little. But enough to where it mattered.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
I am glad you got this taken care of. If you need any other help let me know.