Scott, GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years GMC technician, 25 years Gm Mater certified, 25 years ASE certified

2003 Yukon: XL...short oil pressure gauge reader has gone

I have a 2003 Yukon XL. I was driving a short trip and discover my oil pressure gauge reader has gone to reading 80% which has not been normal Temperate which is around 40 to 50%. What are the causes to this issue and what are the steps to correct it? The truck has 147800 miles on it without having any problems with engine or trans.
I need to make sure I understand your concern. After driving for a short while the oil pressure gage starts to read higher than normal and this happens when temp gage is reading 40-50%?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe the temperate went to high while i was driving within 3 miles of my home. I notice it on my return trip to the house. I have check the oil level and it reads normal. I had 2300 miles since the last oil changes was done. which was about a 6 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I wanted to also share that doing the past several months I have notice the oil pressure gauge has been moving from 40% to 60% but never has the gauge move to 80%.

You probably either have a faulty sensor or gage cluster. The best way to test this is to remove the oil pressure sensor at the back of the block behind the intake and install a mechanical gage to make sure oil pressure is ok. If oil pressure is okay, then you will need to have a sweep test performed on the gage cluster to make sure the gage is functioning properly.This has to be done with a scan tool. If oil pressure okay and gage okay, replace the oil pressure sensor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please explain what you mean by sweep test and if the oil pressure is bad or if the gage cluster is bad as well what's next?
sweep test is test that has to be done with a diagnostic tool. This determines if the gage is able to function properly or not. GM has had alot of problems with the gage clusters on 2003-2005 trucks. If a mechanical gage reads 40psi and the dash is saying 80, you have a gage or sensor problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Has there been a recall on the gage system problem? This issue sound like it has to be done in a GMC shop? What's the cost range for this type of repair?

THere wasn't a recall, but there was a special policy. Your truck has too many miles on it to qualify though. To replace the gage at a dealer will probably cost around $550. To replace the sensor would probably be around $200. If the gage needs replaced a dealer will have to perform the repair. The sweep test I described early will have to be done by a dealer if you do not have access to a diagnostic tool that can perform this function.