Scott, GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years GMC technician, 25 years Gm Mater certified, 25 years ASE certified

2003 GMC Yukon Denali: the front differential rebuilt..reverse

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon Denali and I just had the front differential rebuilt for a noise. What is happening now it when you turn sharply either in drive or in reverse the truck seems to have the front tires fighting against each other, which I never noticed before. Is this normal?
It sounds like the front differential is not disengaging from 4wd. If you did not have this problem before the differential was rebuilt, they may have something not put together right in the rh axle housing exstension where the actuator is or a shorted wire to the actuator itself.
The front axle actuator should only be engaged in 4wd, either 4hi or 4low. It sounds to me from what you are describing that it is engaged all the time and shouldnt be.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is an all wheel drive vehicle so it is engage all the time. Right?
Sorry I thought you had 4wd not awd. From what you are describing with All Wheel Drive, if this conditon was not there before the axle was rebuilt, there has to be something wrong with the spider gears in the differential.